Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been dx with IBS and FMS. The pain always begins first in my abdomen, but it's usually not a crampy pain, more like a tooth ache in the abdominal muscles? It's really hard to describe. I also have the typical IBS symptoms, but it seems to always begin as a pain in the lower rt. abdomen. As the abdominal pain increases, I experience pain in the inside thighs and knees and lower legs. The pain also radiates upward to the midriff area, chest and finally to my inner arms. I know this sounds weird. The pain makes my muscles feel tight--kind of like a pinching sensation all over. All tests, CAT scans, etc. have been normal. Finally, after lots of long lasting pain and unsuccessful use of antidepressants/ pain relievers, etc. I asked my doc to try a round of Predinsone and almost all the pain went away. If all tests show no inflammation, why does the Predinsone relieve almost all my symptoms? Even the constipation improved while on the Pred. I know that long term use of Pred. is not good, but I feel like I have my life back and would like to continue the steriod. Anyone have similar symptoms or any advice?I'm desparate!!!!Blessings--South

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Hi, i don't know what predinsone is,or what it is for,but i can tell you,i have the right sided ache,and i do have many other weird aches,there is another member on this board with similiar symptoms as well.I am also a C type.I was Dxed with IBS but my doctors are unsure about the other pain,also in my legs,back,etc. how long were you on the drug? I'm glad you feel better,the pinching i can relate to 100%.I can't offer advice,but i'm glad you feel better,i am going to run this by my nuerologist. Krissy

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Hi, i don't know what predinsone is,or what it is for,but i can tell you,i have the right sided ache,and i do have many other weird aches,there is another member on this board with similiar symptoms as well.I am also a C type.I was Dxed with IBS but my doctors are unsure about the other pain,also in my legs,back,etc. how long were you on the drug? I'm glad you feel better,the pinching i can relate to 100%.I can't offer advice,but i'm glad you feel better,i am going to run this by my nuerologist. Krissy

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Have you had the ESR and CRP blood tests? If not, they might show up systemic inflammation, which could be the cause of your FMS pain. I have M.E/CFS (possibly also FMS) and have systemic inflamation, which is why steroids relieve some of my pain. I have Depo-Medrone (methylprednisolene) which is an anti-inflammatory and immune suppressant. ------------------susanIBS D/C type & M.E/CFS

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Have you had the ESR and CRP blood tests? If not, they might show up systemic inflammation, which could be the cause of your FMS pain. I have M.E/CFS (possibly also FMS) and have systemic inflamation, which is why steroids relieve some of my pain. I have Depo-Medrone (methylprednisolene) which is an anti-inflammatory and immune suppressant. ------------------susanIBS D/C type & M.E/CFS

·
Registered
525 Posts
I have FM and IBS. I know exactly what you are saying about the aching and pinching pains as I get them too. I have used Prednisone and Medrol at times for my asthma---it's a potent drug and a livesaver, however I don't recommend this on a long term basis unless your life really warrents it. It affects your adrenal glands and causes calcium and mineral loss that could lead to osteoporosis (I know because I have it). As much as I can say I feel better when I'm on the cortisone I only take it when I desparately need to. It also suppresses your immune system and you could have an infection brewing and you won't know it. Be careful with steroids.Tania

·
Registered
525 Posts
I have FM and IBS. I know exactly what you are saying about the aching and pinching pains as I get them too. I have used Prednisone and Medrol at times for my asthma---it's a potent drug and a livesaver, however I don't recommend this on a long term basis unless your life really warrents it. It affects your adrenal glands and causes calcium and mineral loss that could lead to osteoporosis (I know because I have it). As much as I can say I feel better when I'm on the cortisone I only take it when I desparately need to. It also suppresses your immune system and you could have an infection brewing and you won't know it. Be careful with steroids.Tania

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Hi, I believe I'm the "other" member to whom Krissy is referring!
Your pain sounds at least vaguely similar to mine. Today, I have "pain in the butt" (literally) again - so bad that it's hard to walk. X-rays a couple of weeks ago showed some spinal "abnormality" (area of weakness), but I believe it may be due to some other things too. I have different types of pains (including yucky pain in the groin and sometimes down leg and elsewhere), or dysfunction, on different days. I also sometimes have bladder-related problems, IBS-like symptoms, etc. I believe I may have myofascial pain syndrome, but do I ever expect to get a diagnosis....no time soon! Sorry to be blabbing about me. Who knows why the prednisone works, but I'm glad it does! I took painkillers after minor surgery last fall and, except for my sensitive stomach, felt better for 2+ months! Then, it came back. Bleeahh!

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Hi, I believe I'm the "other" member to whom Krissy is referring!
Your pain sounds at least vaguely similar to mine. Today, I have "pain in the butt" (literally) again - so bad that it's hard to walk. X-rays a couple of weeks ago showed some spinal "abnormality" (area of weakness), but I believe it may be due to some other things too. I have different types of pains (including yucky pain in the groin and sometimes down leg and elsewhere), or dysfunction, on different days. I also sometimes have bladder-related problems, IBS-like symptoms, etc. I believe I may have myofascial pain syndrome, but do I ever expect to get a diagnosis....no time soon! Sorry to be blabbing about me. Who knows why the prednisone works, but I'm glad it does! I took painkillers after minor surgery last fall and, except for my sensitive stomach, felt better for 2+ months! Then, it came back. Bleeahh!

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Hi, yes Jan, i am speaking of you! he he,i wouldn't just say your name though.We have the similiar,butt,bladder,hip,back,you name it pain.I am going to the nuero in 2 weeks,and i will tell him about this,and mention the myofascial also.Why the steroid works,who knows,but hey,whatever it takes!

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Hi, yes Jan, i am speaking of you! he he,i wouldn't just say your name though.We have the similiar,butt,bladder,hip,back,you name it pain.I am going to the nuero in 2 weeks,and i will tell him about this,and mention the myofascial also.Why the steroid works,who knows,but hey,whatever it takes!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hey Guys--Thanks for the input!!!! I feel better just knowing someone else has these weird symptoms. I realize long term use of steriods is not wise, but I feel like I actually have a life again so naturally, I would like to have the option of taking the Prednisone to relieve the pain. I am now tapering off the dosage and am taking only 1/2 of a 10mg. tab a day. Some of the pain has returned--mostly the abdominal pain. I forgot to mention that the FMS/MPS related fatigue was also greatly diminished. I actually enjoyed working in my flowers and had energy left over. I am seeing a Rheumatologist in a few weeks and will request the tests for inflammation. I still feel that the source of the pain is somehow related to some problems with my digestive system. I have considered seeing a neurologist, so if anyone has any success with this route, please let me know. Thanks for the suggestions and input and if you have any additional information, please let me know. You may e-mail me privately if you wish at pkhend###corrrcomm.netDo any of you also post on the FMS board?Thanks and blessings--South

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hey Guys--Thanks for the input!!!! I feel better just knowing someone else has these weird symptoms. I realize long term use of steriods is not wise, but I feel like I actually have a life again so naturally, I would like to have the option of taking the Prednisone to relieve the pain. I am now tapering off the dosage and am taking only 1/2 of a 10mg. tab a day. Some of the pain has returned--mostly the abdominal pain. I forgot to mention that the FMS/MPS related fatigue was also greatly diminished. I actually enjoyed working in my flowers and had energy left over. I am seeing a Rheumatologist in a few weeks and will request the tests for inflammation. I still feel that the source of the pain is somehow related to some problems with my digestive system. I have considered seeing a neurologist, so if anyone has any success with this route, please let me know. Thanks for the suggestions and input and if you have any additional information, please let me know. You may e-mail me privately if you wish at pkhend###corrrcomm.netDo any of you also post on the FMS board?Thanks and blessings--South

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.