Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't been on the ibs board since I gave birth to my daughter. Which was 19 months ago. My first pregancy I was ibs free for almost 9 months. This was a blessing! I have severe ibs d for twenty two years now. Needless to say I ate almost everything except milk products and beef(for some reason I couldn't have them even when I was pregant). I was in heaven because my diet was so limited before the pregancy. During my 8 month I develop proctitis. After my daughter was born, between my ibs and proctitis I was in very bad shape. I couldn't take any kind of medicine because I was breastfeeding. For three months I really suffered. There were many times when I breastfed my daughter while I was on the toilet. I did alot of research and finally found a wedsite that a wonderful man created who had proctitis. Anyway, he was on a wheat/gluten free diet plus he juiced veggies. I decided to try it and it worked! The diet was very hard to follow but I was in such pain I would try anything.I notice after a month the bleeding from the proctitis stop and within three months my ibs improved by 90 percent. Sorry This is so long. Anyway I am 9 weeks pregant and sorry to say my ibs is bad. The cramping before bm is the worst. Between m/s and ibs I feel terrible. I am very concerned that something can happened to the baby. I can not take any kind of vitamins because it just goes right through me, I have tried almost every vitamin and prenatal vitamin but I can't stomach them. When I first found out I was pregant I starting juicing veggies to get some vitamins in me but since the morning sickness kicked in I can't even smell the stuff without hurling. I can't eat veggies or fruit, can tolerate milk products. I can't even take calcium for the d because it makes me doubling over from the trapped gas. I also concerned about the shape that I will be in after this baby is born, my daughter will be 2 years old by then. Between two kids, the lack of sleep once this baby is born and not having the time or engery to eat right I am really scared! Does anyone have any advice. ThanksVicki

·
Registered
271 Posts
I can sympathize with you completely. I was very ill (IBS and more) during my pregnancies. I ate and drank only what sounded good. Everything else usually came back up. (or the thought of it made whatever come up) I was able to tolerate dairy only when pregnant, I can't do dairy at all when I'm not. The human body is a great mystery. I gave birth to healthy babies and my body suffered much. I took a prenatal vitamin every day. I always took it with food and only ate food that I was in the mood for. I didn't force any food - my stomach would always win. I usually found my cravings, though sometimes a little strange, were usually healthful. I might eat the exact same foods many times a day for many days!(main cravings: first chid - ice cream, second - watermelon) I was always in pretty bad shape by the time I gave birth, but have never regretted anything I went through for my kids. Hang in there!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi VickiI am 6 weeks pg and like you am in a terrible state. This is my first child and I am miserable instead of being thrilled. I have had 10 days off work for Xmas leave (the day i found i, i finished at work) and i have had d upto 15 times a day since them. I am due back at work on Thursday and don't know what to do with myself. Doctor has said no immodium etc.I despair. And sympathise with you totally. Chat soon?Happy New Year.Tracey

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hi, I just wanted to see if I can help. I am 36 weeks pregnant and have had the worst time with IBS-D throughout my whole pregnancy. I found a couple of things help. First, I also have an extremly hard time with vitamins - I tried all prenatal and found that ones low in iron and magnesium and chewable had the lesser side effects. Plus my doc said i can skip every other day, that's better than not taking any. When digesting food is hard (cause of IBS-D, morning sickness, or heartburn), I kept to eatting simple things like toast, rice, soup and Ensure nutritional drink. I noticed that it calms your intestines down and allows you 2 or 3 days of eatting normal. And on really bad days, when you have to go to work you can take immodium. My doc said it was fine to take immodium. You have to take care of yourself so that your baby is healthy. I spend a lot of time in the house due to not feeling good, but I remind myself that all this is for my baby so you can't be sad over 9 months of discomfort.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.