Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible that a person could develop IBS during pregnancy? I also heard once that women with IBS have a harder time conceiving and have a higher rish for miscarriage. Can anyone please clear this up for me?

·
Registered
176 Posts
It is possible to develop IBS during pregnancy. Although, a LOT of people that already have IBS see a remission of their syptoms during pregnancy. I am 33 and have had IBS C since I was 15. I was on birth control pills for 18 years and just stopped a couple months ago because I want to get pregnant. I actually did get pregnant the 2nd month of trying but did miscarry at 5.5 weeks. I do NOT believe ths misscarriage had anything to do with IBS.I have been doing a lot or research on pregnancy and IBS and I have not come across anything that suggests that we would have a harder time conceiving or have a higher misscarriage rate.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I can't speak for IBS, but I certainly can for IBD. Although I already had UC long before I got pregnant...I had two very healthy (not one flare up) pregnancies. I did have flares right after both deliveries. I can tell you I didn't have any problems conceiving either...and had been diagnosed with UC 7 years prior to conceiving my first. I don't know of any issues that may cause problems with conception with IBS/D unless you've had surgery and/or you have adhesions.

G

·
Hi, I was constipated only until I got pregnant, which I had no problem doing by the way. After I got pregnant I got C alternating with D. But my pregnancy went along just fine. I had no problems with my second one either. Hope this is the info you wanted although I think I was more C with this one.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.