Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi - Well, I am 9 weeks pregnant now and just returned from my ultrasound. We saw the fetus and picked up a strong heartbeat. All good news....Unfortunately, my IBS-D is just not doing well. I was hoping it would get better with pregnancy, but so far I have had no luck. In fact, this morning pre-apointment it was really bad. It always gets worse when I am very nervous, especially if it is a doc visit. My hi-risk OB/GYN has told me to take a daily immodium for the D. Since I have severe IBS-D, he thinks that it is more of a risk for the baby to have constant D than to take immodium regularly (which is a class B drug). Has anyone on the BB been pregnant and taken immodium? If so, how often and how much? Did you have any adverse effects?Thanks...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi, I am SURE it is a class B drug. I am 27 weeks pregnant, and I take 1-3 imodium per week. I have researched everything I could find, and cannot find any adverse reactions. I have been taking it since the beginning of the pregnancy. I have had 3 ultrasounds, and all fine, he is perfect so far. This is my third pregnancy, and I had hoped it would be better, but no such luck. My other 2 were fine, but I never had any constipation, and I always thought I was weird for that. Do any search on past posts here on pregnancy and imodium. There is alot of past info, many people had there drs. say it was perfectly safe. Good luck, Shannon

·
Registered
176 Posts
I am almost postive also that this is a class B drug. I had D of and on while I was pregnant and on days that it acted up I took immodium. I have a very healthy 6 month old now. I checked with 2 different doctors before taking it and they both told me it was safe. I would go by what your doctor tells you. Anna

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info. Yes, I am also positive immodium is a class b as that is what my hi-risk obgyn just told me. He does not seem concerned with me using it, but I am glad to hear from others who have used it with no ill effect during pregnancy.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just wanted to let you know that my IBS-D was pretty horrible during the first 12 weeks of my pregnancy, but then it let up afterward and I went back to my "normal" pattern of flares every few weeks. I think the raging hormones during the first trimester had a lot to do with it, but that's just my theory. Unfortunately, my OB was WAY conservatives with meds during my pregnancy (I have a history of repeat miscarriage), so I had to suffer without Immodium. But once I got into the second trimester, the daily D stopped and I got a little more regular.Best wishes. I hope you have a wonderful pregnancy!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.