Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tomorrow I take all the good stuff preparing for the colonscopy on Tuesday. My fear is taking the fleet and having to encorage D(Daily anyway) and dealing with what I believe is an ulcer. Everytime I try to not eat for extended period I have extensive stomach pain. Is this part of IBS routine, or am I dealing with a double whammy? Wish me luck getting thru till Tuesday

·
Registered
34 Posts
Phyl, I have pretty bad stomach pain no matter what i eat, don't eat. I had this same test done and did the fleet too. Just get yourself set up in the bathroom for the evening, (I took the tv in there). The night before wasn't bad and I did get some sleep. It was driving to the test the was the worst... Just know all the bathrooms on the way (if you have a long distance to travel).I wish you luck, and hope you get some answers.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Phyl, I have pretty bad stomach pain no matter what i eat, don't eat. I had this same test done and did the fleet too. Just get yourself set up in the bathroom for the evening, (I took the tv in there). The night before wasn't bad and I did get some sleep. It was driving to the test the was the worst... Just know all the bathrooms on the way (if you have a long distance to travel).I wish you luck, and hope you get some answers.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
The Fleet Phospho-Soda has less to drink of the awful stuff than the gallon of GoLytely. If you use this be sure to drink lots of liquids much more than is recommended. Ask your Doctor about taking Ducolax too. Most people are cleaned out without the Ducolax, but some Doctors want this taken too.It would help if you stopped eating solids now. The less solids you eat the faster you get cleaned out. The more liquids you drink the faster you will run clear. To be fully cleaned out you have to pass clear liquid in the toilet.I did not pass out clear liquid, it was always brown and the colonoscopy did not work well. I am the exception. Most people run clear with only the Fleets Phospho-Soda.I am having it done again in 6 months. I spoke to my Doctor and he said I can use the Fleets Phospho-Soda if I drink lots of water every hour, use Ducolax and stay on a liquid diet for more than one day.Ask your Doctor about stomach pain without eating. He may let you take something. I have no idea. Hold on tight!!Let us know what happens. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
The Fleet Phospho-Soda has less to drink of the awful stuff than the gallon of GoLytely. If you use this be sure to drink lots of liquids much more than is recommended. Ask your Doctor about taking Ducolax too. Most people are cleaned out without the Ducolax, but some Doctors want this taken too.It would help if you stopped eating solids now. The less solids you eat the faster you get cleaned out. The more liquids you drink the faster you will run clear. To be fully cleaned out you have to pass clear liquid in the toilet.I did not pass out clear liquid, it was always brown and the colonoscopy did not work well. I am the exception. Most people run clear with only the Fleets Phospho-Soda.I am having it done again in 6 months. I spoke to my Doctor and he said I can use the Fleets Phospho-Soda if I drink lots of water every hour, use Ducolax and stay on a liquid diet for more than one day.Ask your Doctor about stomach pain without eating. He may let you take something. I have no idea. Hold on tight!!Let us know what happens. Good luck!

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
HiEverything will be ok for tomorrow....My husband has never had the scope but he does thursday...I have had many while he has taken me and watch me drink the nasty prep !!! and evey time I drink it I would stand and the kitchen sick and say oh my God I cant do it and cry (kinda) but it was a pleasre to go yesterday and the the prep for him and chicken broth and jello...So the first thing I did was give it to him a giggle.....I know I am mean.....Things will go good...just hold you nose drinking the prep....Donna

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
HiEverything will be ok for tomorrow....My husband has never had the scope but he does thursday...I have had many while he has taken me and watch me drink the nasty prep !!! and evey time I drink it I would stand and the kitchen sick and say oh my God I cant do it and cry (kinda) but it was a pleasre to go yesterday and the the prep for him and chicken broth and jello...So the first thing I did was give it to him a giggle.....I know I am mean.....Things will go good...just hold you nose drinking the prep....Donna

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Someone on this board told me that after drinking each glass of the vile Nulytely or Golytely, you should rinse out your mouth with 7up or Sprite, then spit it out. And that really helped me! Took away the awful aftertaste that made me so nauseous. I wonder if that would work for the Fleet liquid as well.I just had my colonoscopy last Tuesday. I was worried about having to stop somewhere on the way to the hospital It's an hour's drive, but I did okay. Would the doctor let you start the bathroom routine earlier in the day so you wouldn't have to worry about having to stop somewhere the next morning? With the Nulytely, I was told to start earlier (at 1:00) instead of 6:00 (evening). I was able to drink it more slowly, and was cleaned out earlier in the evening. Maybe your doctor would okay that, IF it would help. I know it's a different prep liquid than I had. Hang in there. It will be over before you know it, and you'll be so glad you had it done.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Someone on this board told me that after drinking each glass of the vile Nulytely or Golytely, you should rinse out your mouth with 7up or Sprite, then spit it out. And that really helped me! Took away the awful aftertaste that made me so nauseous. I wonder if that would work for the Fleet liquid as well.I just had my colonoscopy last Tuesday. I was worried about having to stop somewhere on the way to the hospital It's an hour's drive, but I did okay. Would the doctor let you start the bathroom routine earlier in the day so you wouldn't have to worry about having to stop somewhere the next morning? With the Nulytely, I was told to start earlier (at 1:00) instead of 6:00 (evening). I was able to drink it more slowly, and was cleaned out earlier in the evening. Maybe your doctor would okay that, IF it would help. I know it's a different prep liquid than I had. Hang in there. It will be over before you know it, and you'll be so glad you had it done.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi there I had my first colonoscopy today..took the fleet to clean out was on a total clear liguid diet yesterday which made getting cleaned out so much faster and easier. Hold nose when drinking the fleet, and have a glass of cold water to follow it down with. Well results at the clinic where...they gave me demerol and something like valium but not but it did I believe start with a V, WOW felt great..I was talking they said the whole time(dont remember it)..the test itself was not bad they did have trouble with the area of kinks the found and could not get through or around so they ended up giving me 4 times the meds they usualy give....the kinks really are the area where our colon makes a turn, Dr. said my colon has fallen much lower then its suppose to be, instead of going straight across top mine sags and goes down then up with sharp corners (which I call kinks) which really explains why I get backed up..and have a heck of time getting full relief at bathroom. I have NO clue how to help this except they said use stool softener, I knew the food got trapped somewhere on my right side I could feel it. They then say I do have IBS..shew! SOoooo dunno, unless I walk on my hands upside down guess I am stuck with this it seems?? The test is a breeze you will feel great during it dont fret its ok. Getting prepared at home *fleet* is the worse and even that is not so bad my hubbie did the gallon jug thing and it was SOoo much worse. Just baby yourself big time, get a great book, or TV..and a blanket stay close to bathroom and keep somehing close to throw up in if ya have to I never did, :) bless you- you are my in prayers.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi there I had my first colonoscopy today..took the fleet to clean out was on a total clear liguid diet yesterday which made getting cleaned out so much faster and easier. Hold nose when drinking the fleet, and have a glass of cold water to follow it down with. Well results at the clinic where...they gave me demerol and something like valium but not but it did I believe start with a V, WOW felt great..I was talking they said the whole time(dont remember it)..the test itself was not bad they did have trouble with the area of kinks the found and could not get through or around so they ended up giving me 4 times the meds they usualy give....the kinks really are the area where our colon makes a turn, Dr. said my colon has fallen much lower then its suppose to be, instead of going straight across top mine sags and goes down then up with sharp corners (which I call kinks) which really explains why I get backed up..and have a heck of time getting full relief at bathroom. I have NO clue how to help this except they said use stool softener, I knew the food got trapped somewhere on my right side I could feel it. They then say I do have IBS..shew! SOoooo dunno, unless I walk on my hands upside down guess I am stuck with this it seems?? The test is a breeze you will feel great during it dont fret its ok. Getting prepared at home *fleet* is the worse and even that is not so bad my hubbie did the gallon jug thing and it was SOoo much worse. Just baby yourself big time, get a great book, or TV..and a blanket stay close to bathroom and keep somehing close to throw up in if ya have to I never did, :) bless you- you are my in prayers.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I had my coloscopy a year ago and it really was a breeze for me.....only thing I didn't care for was drinking the prep stuff the day before. Sucking on a lime after each glassful helped.I had told the Gastroenterologist that I definitely didn't want to be aware of what was going on...and whatever they put in the IV made sure of that :)....now if I can only convince myself the the endoscopy on Wednesday will be as easy :)....my stomach and bowels have been in a real uproar just in anticipation of the procedure.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I had my coloscopy a year ago and it really was a breeze for me.....only thing I didn't care for was drinking the prep stuff the day before. Sucking on a lime after each glassful helped.I had told the Gastroenterologist that I definitely didn't want to be aware of what was going on...and whatever they put in the IV made sure of that :)....now if I can only convince myself the the endoscopy on Wednesday will be as easy :)....my stomach and bowels have been in a real uproar just in anticipation of the procedure.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.