Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner

Prescribed Creon?

7K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  Becs1978 
#1 ·
Hi guys,

So all tests so far have come back clear. Had standard bloods run, tumor marker tests done, F.O.B test carried out, and an ultrasound that came back clear too. So today my doc prescribed me creon (a medicine which gives the digestive enzymes produced by the pancreas) to take before each meal. She says if it works, then I have pancreatitis (which I have a family history of). Her guess is based on the fact that I'm not currently digesting food - I can keep it down fine, but things like (sorry for being gross here!) carrots and peppers are appearing undigested in my BMs. I'm wondering does anyone else with IBS experience this, or is it a sign of pancreatitis? Has anyone else been put on Creon to help them digest food? And did it work?

Thanks folks.

#2 ·
Thank you Stefan for your reply. Could I ask a follow-up? Have any of your patients reported undigested material (which they previously could digest) in their BMs? My doc is assuming this must be a sign of pancreatitis, however I am unsure. I am also taking Omeprazole (Prilosec), and I was wondering if this medication could also be stopping the digestion of food, due to a reduced acidity level in the stomach.

I would appreciate if you could help, as my inability to physically digest food now means I'm losing weight at a rapid pace (around 2lbs a day), which is concerning.

#4 ·
Hi, I was actually just searching about Creon and found your post. I have been diagnosed with IBS for near 10 or more year with my diagnosis being changed to IBSD about 3 years ago. My doctor put me on this medication recently stating shes had other patients have great success with it. That it changed their lives. She put me on this after I voiced concern that my Gastrointestinal doctor wanted to put me back on Viberzi that I had allergy to and add me a steroid to go along. I also was honest and told her I had stopped taking my welcol that I was having an uncomfortable reaction to it as well. Im not sure the GI doctors in my area are the greatest because my problems have been going on for years. I just started accepting that Id probably never have a normal life and that people wouldnt understand. So far at a week on Creon Ive had more success with it then any other medicine. Ive still had some issues but I also did an everlywell blood test and came back with lots of food sensitivities. I havent had the time to figure out if it matters much if I eat or dont eat those items along with adding the medications. I also added a probiotic and that seams to help too. Whether this means I have pancreatitis I do not know? Has your diagnosis since changed and did it help you? I will note I think I experienced photosensitivity on it? Ive suffered so long that Im not sure Im willing to not take it for that one. I may just need to be careful in the sun and buy Eoropean sunscreen because I read several articles that its better then our US sunscreen currently. Anyway other then the bloating/ gas Im experiencing. Which is better then the Diarrhea problems and I hope its not a first week type thing. Viberzi seemed to help and then it didnt but if in fact some of us are being miss diagnosed with IBSD and instead we have pancreatitis that would explain why the meds dont work. In fact I had a nurse tell me. If you have IBSD the medicine should work. And maybe its some people have a combination of health problems. That doctors do not yet understand.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.