Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anyone else get this? i also turn red in the face when i get this. today it is soooooo bad despite drinking lots of ginger tea and eating next to nothing. i go to the bathroom and it is still there. sometimes it seems to go away a little after releasing gas

·
Registered
255 Posts
Hi JoanThe area that you're describing is also the location of the splenic flexure (really tight turn) where the transverse and descending colon meet. A lot of people get horrendous pain in that area from trapped gas. They have done studies where they placed air in that area to simulate the pain some people experience. Might be why you feel a little better after you're able to release some gas.

·
Registered
8 Posts
i have EXACTLY the same problem... ive got increadible pressure/pain under my left rib and my arms tingle loads.. sometimes i wake up with pins and needles all over my chest and back, its really frightening. does your pain radiate into your back, down the left side and under your left breast too? (sorry)- itd be a relief to know if someone else does..

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Katydid,yes i think it is the area where the splenic flexure is. when i had my sigmoid done they reproduced every symptom i have by blowing air near that region. i had no pain, but thought i might truly explode. the sensation was as if things were hitting a brick wall and just moving outward instaed of through. it was very very scary. is there anything i can do if i have a tight splenic flexure area. fiber and antispasmodics only help marginally. what else can you do? having my body so blown up like this cannot be good!Fuzziek,i get the pins and needles thing too - mostly in my face but have gotten it elsewhere including my hands and legs and feet.i never get pain - just loads of pressure but muscle tightness and pressure feeling in my back. i also get very enlarged and strained calf muscles, not to mention shoulder and neck. even when i am empty i am tight b/c the muscle tension has been so constant over so long. i feel like my stomach/intestines don't rest and sit into well of my abdomen - but are pushed up and out and all my abdominal muscles are working in wierd way b/c of it. does this sound similar?Jhouston i get my bloodpressure checked fairly often and have never been told its high. i know i get red in the face b/c imagine yourself straing really hard to push a balloon down your chest but there is a block high up in your stomach. its like you are choking to death. your face would get red adn teh veins start popping out on your neck. that is how i live.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Joan, I think I understand what you mean. My grandmother would put a bay leaf in boiling water and make a tea, She would use this for infant gas problems. baby would drink the bottleand gas would pass. Hey, its worth a shot. She said it would break up the gas. Joann

·
Registered
255 Posts
JoanI really have no idea, but I'll do some checking around and see if I can find any information on relief from it. It's interesting about the bay leaf remedy...I've never heard of that. Some of the best remedies are passed down from generations..so I may have to try that some day.I'm just wondering if certain yoga positions might help. I know I've read a lot of posts where people use certain positions to help relieve gas. That would be okay for home use, but I'd sure hate to enroll in a yoga class, and THEN find out how well it works in front of a lot of other people!
I remember when my husband and I attended childbirth classes, and the instructor made the women AND the men assume certain positions. One of the daddies-to-be suddenly 'ripped' one, and I was amazed that some of us women didn't deliver right in that room, as we were all trying to hold back from laughing out loud! You try not to giggle, and it just ends up making it worse.....

·
Registered
686 Posts
joan i get pins and needles in my legs and on my fingertips
at first i panicked a bit but put it down to my IBS , i didnt seek medical advice on account of my gp being "useless"i will try the bay-leaf tea and hope it works, thanks for the wee tip

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.