Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i've noticed that now that i'm in a less streesful job my ibs is better. since i always was able to handle the stress (I thought) i'm wondering if the ibs came from pretending i didn't feel the stress. any others have similar experiences?tom

·
Registered
190 Posts
Oh yeah! I always knew if I was enduring too much stress in any aspect of my life. I get it worse with relationships...I guess I can really make the claim "you make me sick". I have been in situtions too many times that I was putting up with things that I didn't deserve, wondered if I was being reasonable, and should have just listened to my body. I would take so much stress I was getting very ill and starting my cycle with weight loss again...that's when I know it's time to move on, whatever the situation.

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
Tom, I know exactly what you mean. I thought years ago even though I was under a lot of stress from work and life that I was handling it well and when my doctor told me to reduce the stress levels, I thought I was, but now I know what he was talking about. He didn't tell me how to do it though, that I learned in a big part from the bb here and educating mysself. IF the doc's could spend an hour per visit and had more experience with diet and stress/anxiety advise(not that they all don't,but they are mainly thinking organically and are crunched for time) and explaining the condition better, I think it would go a long way for most IBS patients.------------------Moderator of the Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, Anxiety and Hypnotherapy forumI work with Mike and the IBS Audio Program. www.ibshealth.com www.ibsaudioprogram.com

·
Banned
8,831 Posts
My IBS started when I was in a bad relationship. And I certainly denied that I was in a bad relationship. Even got married to him. Thankfully saw sense and got out of it. Did IBS come from the bad relationship? Can't say.[This message has been edited by bonniei (edited 05-28-2001).]

·
Registered
880 Posts
We it comes to stress and depression, we are not always the best judges. I have been in stressful situation where I knew I was stressed, and I have been in stressful situation where I thought I was fine. I think eventually, stress and depression will come out in the form of physical ailments, because our bodies try to show us that something is wrong.

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
In my case it's more that my conscious isn't bothered by what's going on that is stressful, so I think I'm handling things really well and am pleasantly surprised. I start thinking I'm becoming 'normal' and am relieved. But then a few days later I realise it was all a myth, and that the stressor has affected me - it went straight to my unconscious rather than the conscious - and I get depressed again or the IBS kicks in more.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Yep, it is Stress that is my no. 1 trigger. It took a long time of trial and error before coming to this conclusion. My dad said it was stress right from the beginning. Now I know father really does know best. Now I am in therapy and it really is helping. I am not sure if a person can really fake not being stressed.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
it's like, if you keep biiting a bit of the hair of the dog that bit you it will bite back?tom

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Athen�us (ascribed to Aristophanes). �There was a man, and he was wise, Who fell into a bramble-bush And scratched out both his eyes; And when his eyes were out, he then Jumped into the bramble-bush And scratched them in again.�

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hair of Dog Bites Back �When the going gets tough, the tough get going,� they said. �Take a bit of the hairand get on with it.� It hit me on Memorial Day, which brought a lot of things, includinganother attack of ibs1. Pain, pressure. I can�t �control� it, can�t �manage� the stress. Are there ways of managing stress2 aside from biting down on a bit on the hair of thedog that bit me? Pretend it will go away? Pretend I can handle it? Attack the stress Idon�t see, can�t see? Or feel? Shouldn�t I move on? But now I found that if I don�t stop, slow down, relax, the tail of the dog will biteback, despite what Oliver said: �If you wish to keep as well as possible, the less you thinkabout your health the better.� - Oliver Wendell Holmes. I�ve got IBS, for sure. Athen�us (ascribed to Aristophanes). �There was a man, and he was wise, Who fell into a bramble-bush And scratched out both his eyes; And when his eyes were out, he then Jumped into the bramble-bush And scratched them in again.� 1. IBS, or irritable bowel syndrome, has gone by many names. At present this is thecommonly accepted term for a problem that is wide-spread even though it is onlyrecently that it has begun to be recognized as such slowly by the general public(especially males), the media, and health professionals. This is comparable to theunderstanding of depression thirty or forty years ago. According to Edward Blanchard,�IBS is a functional (i.e., no structural abnormality, leaving only disordered bowelfunction to account for symptoms) disorder of the lower gastrointestinal (GI) tract,characterized by abdominal pain and other GI symptoms.� Irritable Bowel Syndromw:psychosocial Assessment and Treatment, Washington, American PsychologicalAssociation, 20012. see, for example, Lazrus, Richard, Stress and Emotion: A New Synthesis. New York,Springer, 1999, and Salovey, P. et. al., �Emotional States and Physical Health�, AmericanPsychologist, January 2000, Vol. 55, No. 1, 110-121.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
There are relaxation exercises that you can learn that can help relieve stress and don't take alot of time.Even short breaks from your work can make a big difference. The main reason that people doing physically demanding jobs take 15 min in the morning and 15 in the afternoon as well as a lunch break is that even these short breaks make a huge difference by the end of the day.Even simple things like taking a couple of long slow deep breaths before answering the phone can make a big difference in the long run.The just slog through it and pretend it doesn't exist and not take any time for yourself doesn't work.Even taking a minute or two every hour. Like have a chime on the hour and when the chime goes off you stop what your doing and take 10 deep slow relaxing breaths and then go back to what you are doing makes a big difference.I didn't realize how much of a difference something like that could make until I was doing a big push on a project we needed to get out and my upper back was hurting from doing hours of computer work at a time. I would set the timer for 50 minutes and when it went off I would get up and do some stretching or other light exercise for a couple of minutes before going back to it (and so did my co-worker) and we found that just doing that greatly relieve the physical strain (and physical pain gets stressful) and pain and made getting the job done much better.Even though it may feel like you'd be less productive because you are taking a break you end up being more productive at the end of the day because you took them.The important thing to do is find ways to work it into your schedule and make them a habit (like the deep breath before picking up the phone) so that you will do them. There are a number of good stress management and wellness centers and going to one of them can help figure out ways to work stress management into the day so that you don't get to the bite the bullet and just push though it stage. K.------------------I have no financial, academic, or any other stake in any commercial product mentioned by me.My story and what worked for me in greatly easing my IBS: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000015.html

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No question about it, Tom. I had to resign from a job due to an injury a few years back. Ever since then I've suffered. More so in the last year money's running short and the job scene is rough. I can't even sit in a resturant and enjoy a meal without total stress and frequent trips to the bathroom. I can't seem to relax. I've tried meditation, Zazen..whatever. Until that job comes along I think I'm stuck. I notice that a few beers helps me relax and makes me feel a whole lot better. Good luck, my friend.

·
Banned
8,831 Posts
quote:Are there ways of managing stress2 aside from biting down on a bit on the hair of the dog that bit me? Pretend it will go away? Pretend I can handle it? Attack the stress I don�t see, can�t see? Or feel? Shouldn�t I move on?
Thank God you answered that question bcos I am looking to you(as a psychologist) for answers. We really need to slow down and take time to smell the roses. But it sure feels good sometimes, maybe temporarily, to bite down on a bit on the hair of the dog that bit me

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i think the first step is to recognize stress. This is often my problem and it seems to me it's common in ibs.tom

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
I think recognizing stress is a prett general problem and I dunno if it is more common in IBSers than in others.To me it seems like there is a lot of evidence that most of us are pretty stressed out most of the time (at least in the US) given the way we work, the increases in road rage, air rage, rage of the week, and that we take alot less leisure time that most other industrialized countries. Add in the high rates of disorders that stress plays some roll in (headaches, stomach problems, high blood pressure, heart disease, etc...)I think most people don't recognized when they are stressed and do very little to combat the stress they do have until something somewhere goes pop and there is an incident or a disease.K.------------------I have no financial, academic, or any other stake in any commercial product mentioned by me.My story and what worked for me in greatly easing my IBS: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000015.html

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.