Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm thirty, and smell like ass.i've stunk like a butt for several years now off and on...i was able to get by for a long time via denial, but since i'm now on the doorstep of applying to medical school, i realize i need to do something about the problem rather then accept social isolation. the weird thing is, i don't really feel like i have an irritable bowel. i get gassy sometimes, but i know that i stink even when i don't feel gassy. i get diarrhea after drinking a lot of beer, and i've all but eliminated alcohol. i'm trying several avenues right now. i'm doing a fiber cleanse and taking a candida-cleanse supplement, as well as probiotics. i've experienced mild "die off" symptoms, but not as severe as i'd have predicted, which tells me that's only a small part of the problem. i've been using cottonelle wet wipes for a while to make sure i get myself extra clean, but that's clearly not the problem. as my cleanse progresses, i'm going to start taking hot baths with epsom salts in hopes of detoxifying.it's kind of ironic...i'm absolutely petrified to go to the doctor. considering i want to BE one, i shouldn't have trouble being frank with one about my problems. i guess what concerns me most is the reported indifferent reaction by MDs reported here by many. this is a real problem. i have some good friends who accept me for who i am, but people with sensitive noses who don't even know me won't give me the time of day because of something stupid. if i can't get this problem fixed soon, i'm definitely going to go get the old back door checked out to make sure i don't have any abscesses or fistulas or anything. i definitely have a small pilondial cyst, but i don't think it's the problem. i could be wrong, though. i can't tell which scenario is more daunting for me: having a systemic infection that will require a long time and a lot of diligence to get rid of, or having a colorectal medical condition such as a fistula or diverticulitis that will require serious surgery. either way, i've got to get this figured out. i'm so glad i'm not the only one who has this problem.one thing i've noticed...i used to try to cover up the smell with cologne. the response i've gotten from people has actually improved since i stopped. if there's one thing that it's WORSE to smell like than a giant ass, i guess, it's a giant ass soaked in cologne. next steps besides the Dr: i might try this florastor product. seems to have a favorable response.oh, and inb4 "get tested for TMAU." i know it's not TMAU, because i haven't always stunk. in my late teens/early 20's, i was very socially active and dated all sorts of hot women. then i started to stink, and dropped out of school. i don't even know what happened...people just started saying "did someone fart?" and "who's got a dirty ass?" around me. then i started drinking a lot and smoking a gang of weed to forget about my problem, which probably made it worse. i stayed in denial when i came back to school. having the desire to become more aware of what's going on in order to fix it has been pretty tough on me. hope i can get it figured out soon so i can live a normal life!

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
TMAU isn't always noticable since you were born, and it wouldn't hurt to try a low choline diet for a couple of weeks even if you won't get tested.If you think it is smelly farts then you could try Pepto Bismol (up to 8 tablets a day) to see if that blocks the sulfurous gases the bacteria in the colon can make, and some people here do well on a low sulfur diet (so limit protein to 2-3 ounces at a time and avoid things like onions and garlic that have other sulfur compounds in them).It is generally true that trying to cover up the odor either makes it more offensive or you use so much cologne that even by itself that is offensive. Just because it smells good doesn't mean it is pleasant in all concentrations and even when the only odor is perfume a lot of people drown themselves in it and are offensive even without any other odor issue.

·
Registered
38 Posts
atankyass, your post made me laugh. I'm glad that you are able to find a little bit of humor in all of this. I know what you're going through. I am trying to get my life back together and get my nerves back in order. I refuse to let this rule my life any longer.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Get checked by a good colerectal surgeon. I had massive internal hemorrhoids that the general doctors and gastroenterologist didn't feel were very large. The colorectal surgeon soon diagnosed the hemorrhoids as level four, and since having them removed, the odor has been reduced greatly.Wish I had Pepto-Bismal now. Pepto-Bismol and bismuth aren't carried in stores in Japan. I'll go see if the doc can't hook me up with that, as it might be a prescription drug only here.I'm also considering that in combination with my occassional bladder issues, it might be neurologically related. Perhaps I've got some vascular malformation right at that spinal segment that correlates to the pelvic area. Not unlikely given my klippel trenaunay syndrome and all the various vascular malformations that that brings.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Sorry to hear you are going through this.By the way, there are more people like you than you think and not all of them have IBS.Some have multiple chemical sensitivities - so cologne would make them smell worse - kind of like plants emitting scents after you spray them with pesticides.You can check them out at these sites:http://bodyodorsupport.com/http://www.bloodbornebodyodorandhalitosis.com/Dieting does help though - if you could find what the problem substance is - choline, diary, gluten, red meat proteins, starch, insoluble fiber, fat...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.