Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I keep experimenting, as I'm sure you all do, with anything I suspect will help. I take Jarrow probiotics (no harm but no cure), clay (used to work but now just acts as a binder in lieu of fiber, which I cannot take at all), calcium (ditto), methscopalamine (an antihistamine that "dries out" the colon - helps but not all the time), and various vitamins (probably no help at all). I had also been taking a generic form of Questran, which wasn't helping a bit.

I switched pharmacies and they gave me Prevalite. I mixed it in with plain puffed rice and cashew milk in the morning so I don't taste a thing. Within 24 hours my gut stopped roiling and hurting and cramping and going. I still have regular poops - 2-3x per morning, but I can drive to work without fear of soiling myself or the godawful gut pain. I still have a very limited diet and various food triggers will set the dumping mechanism to its full fury. Exercising or dieting enough so that I start to burn body fat will also cause terrible dumping. Prevalite is not a cure by any means, but it has let me live a more normal life than I had been living. The Prevalite that I got does not contain sugar alcohols, which have an awful laxative effect on me.

I've tried probably a hundred or more remedies. Some worked for a while and then quit working (like the clay and slippery elm bark). I hope and pray this will work for the rest of my life, but I've had my heart broken so many times that I'm just grateful that it still works today. I hope this will help some of you out there. This condition is a cruel curse and if I can help just one person I will be thankful.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts