Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I was wondering if anyone had a prevevtative plan? I am taking hyoscyamine for cramps, and lonox or immodium for the D. I was told to take these as needed. My thinking is why wait till they are needed? I know everything is trial and error, but thought if anyone had some suggestions, or have found something that works for them, I would really like to hear about it. Would appreciate any ideas!
hope everyone is having a pain free day. Thanks, Linda

·
Registered
976 Posts
I have Ibs-D and take buscopan and spasmonal antispasmodics every day and also I take Imodium every day, I take one first thing in the morning and then one before lunch and one before the evening meal. This seems to work most of the time and I still have a bm every day quite formed. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I take buscopan as well (just started) and I have been taking Imodium every day for the last year and a half. I don't know about your antispasmodics but with buscopan, you should take it before you take anything else (1 hour before), like Imodium. Also, buscopan kind of slows the reaction of imodium apparently so it's safer to take the buscopan as soon as you wake up and then take Imodium (preventively)30. Minutes before you eat. This works pretty well for me, I take either 2 of 3 imodium a day and 3 buscopans too. Through many trial and errors, I have found that taking medications before you are going to eat is safest.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
For antispasmodics they are often prescribed to be taken 20-30 minutes before a meal, especially if you tend to have post-eating pain or diarrhea.Especially for something that may pass on it's own fairly quickly (and you can predict ahead of time) it tends to work better to get the drug absorbed and in place when you need it rather than waiting until things get bad and then getting most of the effect only after most of the episode is already over.If your IBS is completely unpredictable that isn't always possible (unless you have it so often you might as well just take the medication on schedule anyway as you will need it sometimes in the next couple of hours no matter what). But for a lot of people they know that eating meals or public speaking sets them off so they can pre-dose to get the meds in place before it starts to act up.If Imodium doesn't constipate you too much you can also take it before meals and stuff, but some people get too constipated if they take it and then didn't need it.

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
As I understand the chemistry and biology, for some percentage of us, eating trigger foods, which we all know can go on for pages, will result in GI inflammatory responses. I have been using a flavonoid supplement for well over 10 years that seems to counter those responses. I eat and drink whatever I choose without having to deal with the daily D which plagued my life for 10 long years.Mark

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.