Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been told that I have pretty bad acid reflux compounded by chronic post nasal drip (yic) - and lately, I'm really feeling it. I was advised to take Prilosec - which I've had trouble taking and is known to cause diarrhea (along with the 'Purple Pill' and other similar drugs). Other than Tums and Pepto-Bismol, can anyone suggest any alternative drugs/remedies/treatments? FYI: I try not to eat too close to bedtime, generally avoid acid-producing foods - and try to sleep semi propped up.....

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
Have you tried "Zantac"? It may not quell the burn as efficiently maybe like Prilosec or the other ones.. like Nexium.. but I don't notice any more D when I take it and it takes care of any burn I get. I don't get it often.. but I seem to do ok with the Zantac.Hope you feel better and find something to help ya that doesn't give ya D.BQ

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
I use Pepcid Complete. Works well, no unwanted side effects and you can do the chewables also. But, when my acid got bad, due to having to take Percocets, I had to do Prilosec. I had no trouble, but everyone is different. There are also liquid antacids you can try. Maybe they would be coating and non-diarrhea causing.Hope something helps you soon.

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
I had chronic indigestion (a burning across my abdomen from the first bite in the morning all day long) for years. Eventually it resulted in reflux. I have been treating that, my D, and my cholesterol with one supplement since late in 1998. I haven't had a case of reflux since then and virtually no indigestion, no matter what I eat or drink.Mark

·
Registered
479 Posts
I do not have heartburn problems, but a nurse actually suggested to me to try taking Zantac 75 for my D! I heard the same thing from someone regarding a medicine she was taking that caused D. I havent tried it myself yet, though.So if you take Zantac and it works for you, maybe it could solve two problems at once!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.