Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried acidolphillus or lactoacidolphillus? I am currently trying a brand called Culturelle. I think my bacteria in my colon got destroyed when I took Cipro. Does anyone have thoughts on this?

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
A fair number of people here take various probiotics.Some people get decent results, others do not. (like every other treatment for IBS).One reason they help a lot is that these bacteria do not produce gas from the digestion of carbs, and some with IBS do not handle even normal levels of gas well.After the Cipro you were quickly recolonized by whatever bacteria were around, so it was reformed very quickly, but randomly. Sometimes that means people get a different set of bacteria that may produce more gas than they used to, etc. and probiotics do help with that.You are constantly being recolonized and the probiotic bacteria are always transient residents in the colon. So you may need to take them regularly for extended periods of time. I've gotten to where I only need to take them every so often to keep the colon re-seeded with probiotic bacteria.They did reduce my fart frequency substantially when I found good supplements (they aren't regulated tightly and when tested a lot of supplements do not have enough live bacteria in them, Culturelle usually tests well)K.

G

·
Iceprincess I'm interested in what you have to say. I'm predominantly IBCC and went onto acidophilus bifidus which intially was wonderful and felt much better re cramping and bloating etc. However, recently I think the acidophilus has "veered" me towards rather painful movements and very soft stools (sorry, rather graphic but that's why we are here!!) so I've come off them for a month or so to see if that helps, if not its back to the jolly old GP, who is sick to death of me (I've had IBS for about 8 years). I'll keep you posted.Sue

·
Registered
118 Posts
Pretty much the same thing happened to me after I took Cipro, I developed pseudomembranous colitis/C-Diff Toxin and in addition to taking Vancomycn and I took Culterelle twice a day.Taking it finally helped me get rid of the C Diff Toxin (after 4 months), but doesn't really do anything to help relieve my diarrhea from IBS.If you are looking for another good source of probiotics though, you should also eat yogurt.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am glad to see I'm not alone in the Cipro thing. My doctor won't even acknowledge the imbalance of bacteria in the colon. He acts like it is a voodoo science and doesn't hold much stock in the theory. I have been trying to eat more yogurt. To be honest, this stuff has taken a toll on me. I am sleepless and when find it hard to eat. I know this doesn't help the situation, though. I try to eat yogurt at least once daily.

·
Registered
118 Posts
iceprincess, sorry to hear about the problems you are having with your condition. For my situation my doctor wasn't able to correctly diagnose me until he did a colonoscopy and even after that it took 4 months before I was finally free of the pseudomembranous colitis.If you want more info on pseudomembranous colitis, the disease section of Yahoo.com's health page has a good description of it and how it is treated.

·
Registered
984 Posts
I too got that awful c-diff in May last year. As if having IBS isn't bad enough? No idea how I got it as I hadn't recently taken antibiotics or been in hospital. I think someone said on here that antibiotics you may have taken in the past can mess up your good flora. I did a lot of research on the net to find what might help to get rid of it, and also to keep it from coming back. I took Flagyl which was prescribed by my Dr. Apparently there are only two drugs which you can take for c-diff, Flagyl and Vancomycin and even with these drugs the c-diff can keep returning when the spores hatch. I read a lot about Culturelle and have taken it since May. Quite hard to get it over here in the UK and it's not cheap, I order it from www.nutricentre.com �23.45 including postage for 30 capsules. I also take another probiotic which has also had good reports, this is one by Custom Probiotics, Acidophilus and Bifidus,it has a total bacterial count of 25 BILLION per capsule guaranteed until time of expiration. 90 capsules cost �35.99 and I get it from my health shop (needs to be kept in the fridge).Since May the c-diff has not returned so maybe these probiotics have worked, I'm scared to stop taking them in case the c-diff return!

·
Registered
7 Posts
My diarrhea problems also started after I took Cipro in 2001. After four years of searching for a "cure" and four different GI Doctors the only thing that helped me was Probiotics. Cultrelle was recommended by my last doctor at Mayo Clinic.It did not help me but DDS PLUS made by UAS Laboritories did.I am almost normal now and was able to stop taking Lomitil every day.The other Probiotic recomended was VSL#3 which is only available via the internet and is quite expensive. I have not yet tried it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
i've got IBS-D and started taking Primal Defense probiotics about 3+ years ago. For the most part, it works for me every day, until i get a major relapse, then i have to bring out the big guns: psyllium + bentonite clay + caproil (taken away from probiotics) AND stop all sugar and caffeine. i also have to re-examine what i'm eating/drinking/doing in my life and figure out what i need to do (which is where i'm at again) -but for me, the 1 Primal Defense probiotic is essential on a daily basis.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.