Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased Probiotica from the makers of Immodium and I noticed that it is made of lactobaccillus reuteri. Does the prefix "lacto" mean it has lactose in it? I am lactose intolerant so would this product cause problems for me???Has anyone had success with this product???Janet aka NotHappy

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Lactobacillus are bacteria that eat lactose, among other things. I seem to have less gas (don't fart as much) while taking this.K.------------------I have no financial, academic, or any other stake in any commercial product mentioned by me.And from the as if IBS isn't enough of a worry file...from New Scientist's Feedback column: photographed on the door of a ladies' loo in the Sequoia National Park in California by reader Liz Masterman: "Please keep door closed to discourage bears from entering."[This message has been edited by kmottus (edited 02-24-2001).]

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Kmottus,Does the Probiotica help for IBS-D? I read on a website that it helps constipation. Does it help with diarreha?Do you do fiber therapy? Would this be beneficial for someone with IBS-D? It seems when I eat anything fiberous it doesn't stay there long, if you know what I mean...You seem quite knowledged about IBS....How long have you been experiencing this...if you don't mind me asking, that is...I have had it pretty steady for only about a year...Thanks for your help!Janet aka NotHappy

·
Registered
521 Posts
quote:Does the Probiotica help for IBS-D? I read on a website that it helps constipation. Does it help with diarreha?
Nobody knows the answer to this. You have to try it to find out. In theory it helps populate your intestine with better bacteria than are already there. If bacteria isn't causing any of your problems than you would get no benefit from it. Usually if you get any benefit from it, it will be in the form of gas reduction, I've rarely seen anybody say it has had a significant effect on their D or C, but you never know. The thing to remember is it can't hurt to try it.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
The only think I think that it has been shown to help with is gas. OTOH, if gas and the spasms from the gas are causing problems (which could be either D or C depending on how the spams are happening) it may help with other symptoms.I generally eat a diet with a goodly amount of fiber. The only time I've been doing fiber lately was when I was on a very soft diet for weeks after dental surgery and my colon missed the normal amounts and I got a bit constipated.I've had mild IBS since the 1980's. I got severe IBS in 1997. Fortunately my hospital has some of the top researchers for IBS in it and I got treatments that were really effective for me (see my story on the Living with IBS section of the bulliten board). The IBS was really only severe for 6 months to a year and is now back to what I would call mild with very occasional moderate flare ups.K.------------------I have no financial, academic, or any other stake in any commercial product mentioned by me.And from the as if IBS isn't enough of a worry file...from New Scientist's Feedback column: photographed on the door of a ladies' loo in the Sequoia National Park in California by reader Liz Masterman: "Please keep door closed to discourage bears from entering."

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Keep us posted, please. I have been thinking about rtying this, and am interesting in the experience others are having with it------------------Color Rainbows in the Rain

·
Banned
8,831 Posts
I thought you might be interested in this.Clinical Uses of Probiotics. Probiotics have been used predominantly in the prevention or treatment of diarrheal disease, with fewer studies in the areas of cancer prevention or the formation of carcinogens, hypocholesterolemic effects, and stimulation of the immune response.[12] They have been shown to reduce the duration and severity of viral diarrhea, specifically rotavirus in infants. They have also been shown to reduce the risk or incidence of the following:  traveler's diarrhea  relapsing Clostridium difficile diarrhea  antibiotic-associated diarrhea  diarrhea in daycare centers Unfortunately, the majority of studies have been poorly designed secondary to inadequately defined strains of microorganisms, variation in the preparation and storage of the probiotics, small sample size, and imprecise definitions of end points, making these trials nonreproducible from other investigators.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.