Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had to stop taking probiotics a while ago cause they give me pain in my colon. The pain pretty well starts within half an hour when I take it. Starts in the right side to middle. Then eventually works its way to left side. Then takes me days to get rid of colon spasms from that. I tried probiotics for babies by Natren, with the logic that if baby can handle it so can I LOL. And I have no reaction to them. They make me feel good (although not all my problems are gone). But then I got the idea I would graduate to the adult Natren probiotics, and instant pain. So now I'm back to the baby ones again. I find it so frustrating. And there is no FOS or prebiotics in the Natren probiotics so I was hoping they would work for me. Anyone else have reactions to probiotics?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh yes, I had diarhea the next morning after taking the adult dosage. So pain all night and then diarhea in morning. This might seem like a silly question, but I was wondering if maybe like the saying goes "No pain, no gain", if I should ignore the pain (pretty hard to) and make myself take them, cause maybe it is doing some good in the long run????I know that's an insane question. Any thoughts on that? Maybe cause I haven't taken probiotics for so long, I need them really badly and maybe after a week or so of taking them I might feel better? (my intuition though tells me to stop taking them to avoid pain).

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Some people get reactions from the ecosystem upset when you add the new bacteria, and if the probiotics have PREbiotics in them those can increase gas until the probiotics get established. In theory they are probiotic food, but the gas making bacteria don't know that is how they are marketed so eat them anyway. So if you can tolerate them (even if you have to take simethicone like Gas-X/Wind-Eze or peppermint to help with the cramps or do a low starch diet during the start to limit other gas producing foods) for a couple of weeks to see if you settle out to a good place with the internal ecosystem it can be worth it.But for some people the initial upset is too great to tolerate for a week or two.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.