Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the case with them probiotics really? Has any constipation sufferer and i mean serious ibs-c sufferer tried ANY probiotics that have worked on him? I am really frustrated with this probiotic-cure approach ppl i dont know about you. I just want to ask some of you some simple questions because more or less often i come across probiotic advertisements that say that they do work for ibs and relieve symptoms such as bloating constipation diarrhoea etc etc. I dont know but after having studied 5 yrs of medicine i have never really understood how can someone with ibs-c especially get any relief from probiotics. I have pretty much tried most known probiotic strains advertised on the web to deal with my bad ibs-c condition in the last 3 yrs and the only things i got was:Initial 2 to 3 days>> great distension and bloating, nausea, loss of apetite, very little or limited gas (which is a bad sign for me), No or limited bowel movements which dont really alleviate me, acid reflux in oesophagus and some more weird symptoms.LAter on from days 4-6 the situation usually worsens. Bloating is unbelievable, i cant sleep at nights!! one night actually i got up and felt like puking couldnt sit, stand or lie down i felt sick all over and had the worst stomach burn ever. Finally after i layed down on the frozen floor of my house for an hour crying i drank half a bottle of frozen milk so i could reduce the stomach and heartburns. These things have happened to me after consuming lactobacilus, B.bifidum, and l.bulgaricus all together or separate. I even tried activia yoghurt which almost killed me. I dont know what other probiotic product to try to prove to myself that it wont work for me.But you know what, i really wonder, how can it be that a single probiotic can help both constipation and diarrhoea sufferers. Because most probiotics say they do help both as well.Really if anyone has tried probiotics to deal with ibs-c and got any good results pls try to explain me how this has happened because i feel i have been told nonsense about probiotics up to day. Some one even told me that youre supposed to take it for 2-3 weeks maybe more so the good bacteria takes out the bad bacteria!!! Theoretically this sounds so natural but imagine that by day 6 i almost visited the hospital while a friend of mine that has similar problems like me tried taking activia yoghurt for more than a week and ended up in the hospital with a stomach ulcer which is what happens when your immune system fails to protect you against all them weird strains. After he contacted danone to ask about that they told him that activia is supposed to make some one "regular" (what kind of expression is that?) it helps both diarrhoea and constipation patients but it dont help them that have immune dysfunctions (as most of us ibs-c people do have).I really dont know, but i start believing that probiotics arent really supposed to be treating constipated individuals. And i really wonder if anyone has seen any good results with them, and i mean dissapearance of bloating and normal and complete bowel movements. And how long is someone supposed to take them for? 1 month?

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
The bacteria involved in stomach ulcers (H pylori) is something totally different from probiotic bacteria.I don't think H.p. could even live in yogurt. Bacteria that live in extreme conditions like the stomach usually do not live in normal conditions. "Regular" generally means normal numbers of BM's per week that are formed and easy to pass. This isn't new, it is an old euphamism from when they couldn't really mention bodily functions in ads.I don't know where the "fact" that IBS-C all have immune dysfuctions comes from. Besides your colon is loaded with bacteria no matter what your GI status is. Probiotic or regular old flora you got billions of bacteria in there. Constipated, normal, sick or well, you have billions of bacteria in there.If probiotics work for any symptom you may need to take them semi-regularly for life. They tend to not establish and stick around full time in the GI tract, so they need to be replenished.The main thing probiotics will do (assuming you are taking one that lives in you and the pre-biotic fibers they put in a lot of them don't feed the regular bacteria too well in you) is reduced gas volume.That may or may not effect any other GI symptom. Some people are just as bloated if they fart alot or barely have enough gas to fart at all.Probiotic bacteria do also have some interactions with the human that may in small ways effect the GI tract.It isn't likely they would be the one thing that would fix anyone with severe GI symptoms, but they may help some people.Like every single thing under the sun they will only work for some people. That they don't work for you doesn't mean they can't help anyone. Just like if they work for someone doesn't mean they work for everyone.K.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.