Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
they're the bacteria the gut normally use to digest food. best explanation i've heard for iBS is a probiotic deficiency. usual probio remedies are to eat a lot of yogurt, which contains acidopholus, bulgaricus, and other probiotics; drink acidophilus milk; or take the refrigerated (because the probiotics are live organisms) pills sold by various companies, although there are also unrefrigerated OTC brands that some on this site swear by. As for me, i use the strain of probiotics you can get at www.probiohealth.com, although i have to take a lot more than their recommended dosage with each meal--but it unfailingly gets rid of my D (only to replace it with [manageable] C). let us know how it goes!

·
Registered
146 Posts
I take the chewable strawberry tablets from GNC. They're yummy! They're called "Chewable Acidophilus with bifidus"I've only been taking them a few days so I don't have a lot of feedback to give on them. But they are yummy!

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
I've tried all the expensive acidophilus from Health Food stores, some at almost $100 for just 30, and I now take Culturelle, otc, at justabout $22 for 30, and find them the best.Love them. They are also so strong they cantravel, useful when I went to France recently,but I do keep them in the fridge to help thembe more potent longer.I also take 2 digestive enzymes with my meals.I have Crohn's, mild, not typical and am drug free except for above and calcium, multi-vits andan elimination diet I stick to, even thoughin remission.OO

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
probiotics sure seemed to help my 19 month old son with a chronic diarrhea problem. So far they make me much worse whenever I try them. In other words I get diarrehea which I don't need on top of IBS pain.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.