Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do i know which probiotics to take and what to expect from taking them? I used acidophillus strains in the past and felt completely bloated for 2-3 days then gave it up. I normally take agiolax before i go to bed and have a bowel movement next day, but still its not complete, i feel bloated throughout the day, like i am swollen allover or carying some tank of fluids within me. Am i supposed to expect some long term effects of probiotics? like after 10 days or so? do they have any effect against constipation? Is there a test to see which strains would do some good for my condition?Lately i have noticed a hard painfull mass (when i lay down in bed-before and after a bowel movement) at my lower right side of the abdomen, like at the point of small and large intestinal junction. I feel as if faeces get trapped there or are slower to form. When i put pressure on this point i feel pain allover my intestines. Last but not least, has anyone felt really really better from probiotics? Has anyone felt that his bloating went away on a steady basis? I feel bloated 8 yrs now. Terrible.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Don't know which one to take, I think that is more of a trial and error thing.You do need to give them at least a month to work, though. 2-3 days won't cut it.Probiotics, for the most part, are supposed to cause a little upset for they calm you down. "Killing the bad bacteria" can create a lot of gas and bloating. Most of them say so on the packaging, and your doctor definitely should have told you if you got them from him. At least mine told me exactly what to expect.

·
Registered
234 Posts
The only probiotic I've tried is Activia. It definitely cleans me out. It's really pretty amazing. Food moves through me in about a 12 hour cycle. BUT I need to stay on it for at least a month this time around to see if things truly stabilize. I stopped after 2 weeks b/c I thought it was making me nauseas, which can happen with probiotics at first. Good news is that I haven't felt nauseated at all this time around.Sometimes I think it makes me need to go too much, cramping and feeling urgency happens throughout the day AND I have 2 bm's a day, once after breakfast and once after dinner. As my gastro said, probiotics aren't drugs or laxatives, and will take time to stabilize the gut.For some reason, this time around, I'm having persistent abdominal pain with Activia. Note: it may have nothing to do with the yogurt. I tried a Magnesium supplement (magnesium malate) a couple days ago and the pain since then has been pretty bad. I'm also considering stopping the Zelnorm and doing the Activia alone. It might be a case of too much of a good thing. Anyway, Activia is worth the time and money to figure out how to make it work for me.Oh, I only use 100mg colace every day, the Activia keeps things from getting too "hard." I was able to stop the fiber supplement too.Dana

1 - 4 of 4 Posts