Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I seem to have solved my problem for the time being or at least come up with a treatment, but the problem is it goes against the grain and everything we are taught through the media and whatever.I started eating a lot of "####" like sour cream-based dips and chocolate and stuff like that, and averaging 3,000 to 5,000 calories a day, and suddenly my BMs were TEXTBOOK normal, I mean like going every day or every other day, perfectly soft, no pain at all, no blood, perfect, fast, like a normal human must feel. :)So apparently, the irony is I need to have a high fat diet, and if I want to go every day, I have to eat twice the daily recommended calories. But the problem is, I'm trying to LOSE weight, and I don't want clogged arteries. All the dieting propaganda out there says to eat a low-fat diet, but it would seem essential to the inner workings of my body to have a diet high in fats.So I guess my question, is before I regain all the weight I worked so hard to lose and become the size of a house, are there healthy, low-cal fatty foods I can eat that won't cause weight gain and clogged arteries? This is really perplexing me.Why does my body work on the supposed "wrong" "junk" foods?
I really wouldn't mind eating a diet of veggies and cereal and keeping it all under 1500 calories a day, but having it back up like dry cement and causing horrific pain is no fun believe me. So anyway, that's the latest.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Fat stimulates the digestive tract in a different way than lean foods.If you do well on fat have you tried looking at Atkins which is a fairly high fat low carb diet that might allow you to get the fat that triggers a big "move it along" signal but with a calorie intake that will help you maintain or lose weight. Some people at least on the short term seem to do OK with cholesterol or other health measures on Atkins. But it seems you can either have a lot of carbs or a lot of fat but not both at the same time, and a lot of our junk foods are both high in processed starch and fat.Often constipated type need a higher fat diet than people with severe diarrhea. There is no one size fits all diet for IBS or weight loss. It is what you can stick to.You might try if you want to do a low fat diet to load up on foods that have a high osmotic potential. So replace some of the veggies with fruits, especially apple, pear, peach , plums/prunes, cherries, apricots that have a lot of sorbitol which can pull a lot of water into the stool. Some low carb bars also have a lot of sorbitol or other sugar alcohols. The only problem is they can increase gas and some people do not tolerate that. But you can add magnesium supplements or miralax if you don't tolerate sorbitol well. However without the fat the "move it along" signal may be lessened.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.