Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, my IBS has been getting really bad lately. i've been working on my food intake and only drink water. no alcohol, sodas etc at all.i first had IBS straight after a bout with food poisoning and have had it for 4 years. i was getting IBS-D and struggled for many years. i discovered imodium a few years ago and this has helped a great deal. however, i have recently run into a new problem. i only use the bathroom once every 3 days which is much better than what it was before, but now i'm stuck on the bathroom for 5-8 hours! everything seems ok at the beginning, but then i get a little diarrhea and then it's like i have stool stuck in my colon and i continue to strain for hours and end up completely exhausted and still not feeling finished. has anyone else had this problem? i just started taking remeron so hopefully that makes a difference. i'm not sure what to do, but this is really hurting my life.thanks guys

·
Registered
7 Posts
hey guys, my IBS has been getting really bad lately. i've been working on my food intake and only drink water. no alcohol, sodas etc at all.i first had IBS straight after a bout with food poisoning and have had it for 4 years. i was getting IBS-D and struggled for many years. i discovered imodium a few years ago and this has helped a great deal. however, i have recently run into a new problem. i only use the bathroom once every 3 days which is much better than what it was before, but now i'm stuck on the bathroom for 5-8 hours! everything seems ok at the beginning, but then i get a little diarrhea and then it's like i have stool stuck in my colon and i continue to strain for hours and end up completely exhausted and still not feeling finished. has anyone else had this problem? i just started taking remeron so hopefully that makes a difference. i'm not sure what to do, but this is really hurting my life.thanks guys
Hi. I'm not familiar with your medication as I have been trying to treat my symptoms without and have so far been successful. A word of caution: do not strain! Being chronically constipated is compromising your body enough, straining can lead to hemmorhoids and or diverticular disease (which is no joke...I know first hand). I would suggest a combination of green leafy vegetables, low fat and some quality high fiber. This change should be gradual as you do not want to bring on the ibs-d symptoms again. Best advice: record your symptoms, diet, and response and bring it to your doctor. I wish you speedy good health. P.S.: warm drinks as opposed to ice water etc. will gently improve mobility in the gut. Good Luck.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts