Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did anyone experience more problems after having their gallbladder removed? It's been about a year and a half since I had mine out which was 6 weeks after having my daughter. Ever since then I almost always had to shoot to the bathroom after I ate. I had attacks while I was pregnant which I associated with my gallbladder and later found out I did have gallstones, so I had it removed. I didn't have another "attack" until last November which was a little over a year after having it out so that really confused me. Finally in December I went to the doctor which said I have IBS. He gave me a prescription for Levacid which I've used twice and it worked fairly well. My symptoms usually start with a really full feeling like I am water logged, then cramping, diahrrea, maybe vomiting and then a sour stomach for about four days or so. My doc also recommended taking fiber once a day so I started doing that but occasionally forget. Taking the fiber really helps I think. I then don't have the urge to run to the bathroom if I eat something greasier or richer than normal, sometimes. Any others experince something similar?

·
Banned
955 Posts
I was having severe stomach pains and was sent for an ultra sound of my Gall Bladder.It was packed full of stones and I was scheduled for immediate surgery to have it removed.I had this removed about 4 to 5 years ago , I forget when.The surgeon said to watch my fat intake or I will get severe diarrhea.It is almost impossible for me to watch everything I eat , so that could be why I have diarrhea all the time.I have serious diarrhea stories posted on the board.Fiber supplements give me gas and then the runs.

·
Registered
5,427 Posts
bboop_1977_2006,Check out the calcium info above and what you most likely have is Bile Salts Diarrhea and taking calcium carbonate as instructed above may help you with the diarrhea attacks.Linda

·
Registered
4 Posts
YES! Exactly what happened to me. 4 months after having my last child I had the galbladder removed. The problems started out slow but I noticed a def difference in the bowel habits. Four years later after spending a year going to school full time, working full time and taking care of a family full time I started having serious D- all the time. Went in for the colonoscopy and upper endoscopy last month and was diagnosed with IBS as well as gastritis. I stink, have awful heartburn and fart like a horse. SO now I eat fiber cookies every day, take colestid, prilosec, keep lomotil and hycosymine (sp) sublingual pills in my purse at all times along with a fresh pair of undies and a pack of matches- just in case. I finally got the potassium levels back to the very lowest of the normal range only to have my magnesium level bottom out. All from spending most of my time in the crapper. You know, I know where every bathroom is in town- for myself, not the kids. Sad. I have had to fly into a store just to use their facilities. Coffee is a trigger for me as well as grease- lots of fruit will do it too_Oh, by the way, Im new to the forum. I was out searching for something- anything that may help. MelsMadness

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, Im only 17 years old and i found out about a month ago that i have 3 large gallstones, and i have been looking on the internet since it hit me that i do have gallstones (i didnt want to face the fact that i have gallstones at 17) trying to find info on problems after u have your gallbladder removed and from what i read im guessing i will have IBS probably after mine is removed....

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
The stats on post-gallbladder removal diarrhea is about 10%.While we have a fair number of IBSers who have had gall bladders removed, but a lot of people are just fine after the surgery.Don't assume you will be the worst case scenario
There are ways of controlling the diarrhea afterward because it is due to excess bile.1) Reduce fat in the diet2) Questran that binds bile so it won't bother you3) LNAPE's calcium proticol seems to work for a lot of people.K.

·
Registered
617 Posts
I have heard that LECITHIN can be used to help thin gallstones and eventually clear them . Worth a try before having your gallbladder out maybe and end up with Bile Salt D all your life!###!!!!!!!

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
FYI"Diarrhea There are two main functional gastrointestinal disorders where diarrhea is a prominent symptom: (1) chronic functional diarrhea and (2) the more common diarrhea-predominant IBS, or D-IBS. Treatment choices include the opioid agonists loperamide (a brand name Imodium; generic available) and diphenoxylate (a brand name Lomotil; generic available). Diphenoxylate also contains atropine, which is an antispasmodic discussed earlier. Two drugs that are used to lower blood cholesterol can be helpful for some patients with chronic diarrhea, especially if the problem tends to occur in the morning, is triggered by meals or develops after surgical removal of the gallbladder. These drugs are cholestyramine (brand name Questran; generic available) and colestipol (brand name Colestid; generic available)."http://www.grandtimes.com/Treatment_of_Irritable.html

1 - 8 of 8 Posts