Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,For about two weeks now I've eliminated all breads, sugars, fruits and starches from my diet. Guess what? The only IBS symptom that I have on occassion is that my tummy rumbles and girgles a little bit here and there.I went from constant D, gas pain, farting, burping, bloated, back pain, anxiety, fatigue etc. to almost no symptoms!!!!! It's been about 10 years.I am also loosing weight, a lot of it because I am not eating more than 30 grams of carbs each day.Just thought I'd share.PS - 64 ounces of filtered water w/ ice cubes too.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Joolie!!!I am feeling much better about things with my husband. He was just stressed out about his dad having a stroke. We have been doing pretty good under the circumstances.This diet, although kind of hard because I love bread is really working in more ways than one. I am not bloated. I don't have painful gas. I don't have to use the bathroom 50 times a day. I mean I do have some "D" but not as much as I normally do. I have more energy because I'm also really trying to work out everyday.I think I'll remain on Atkins and see what comes of it. I'm down a lot of weight. I can finally see my cheek bones....

·
Banned
3,903 Posts
im really pleased everythings working out for you chris, it does make a difference on here when you hear that things are going fine.I so admire you for sticking to the atkins diet, id love to do that but i cant stand fish (goes back to my childhood when we had fish 7 days a week) lol im jesting.I remember when i lost weight nearly 5 yrs ago i said oh mi god i can see my chest
hehe

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
That's such good news, both about your diet and your relationship. May all continue to go well.There is a school of thought that no-starch diets are very good for people with D and also for certain arthritic complaints.You have also eliminated many of the trigger foods, which has to be good.As for bread and baking, I have exactly the same craving as you. I get round that by eating rice bread (ensuring there is no yeast). OK, that's certainly not yeast-free, but if your symptoms continue to stabilise, you could trial the rice bread. A diet that is very stringent can become difficult to adhere to.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I also noticed when I am on a low-carb that my symptons, IBS-A, pred-c get better. I did try Heather's "Eating for IBS" and I wanted it to work so bad, cause I love carbs, but was bloated, I have done the "Hypno Tapes" and though they have helped with the anxiety Food is still a trigger for me. I think a lot depends on how u got IBS, I was trying to be healthier and started eating more bran etc....just made things worse. I would love to become a vegetarian but now having trouble with vegetables, it can be so frustrating, I am happy to be able to post hear and vent and share these hard to talk about prob. Thanks, Laura

·
Banned
3,903 Posts
i have been tinkering with the idea of vegatarianism for some time laura ive mentioned on here a few times, my wee sister is a veggie and she looks and feels cracking (nice) i adore veggies apart from butter beans as they give me the boak, i do eat a lot of veggies and fruit, with very little meat, i only eat meat as in mince (minced steak) i love it mince & tatties yum, i have bought a vegetarian cook book i must have a sit down and read it..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts