Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I suffer from colon spasms, and I found that when I went on the Atkins diet, the spasms stopped. I thought maybe it was the carbohydrates that were causing probelms, so I experimented. Pasta, rice, potatoes didn't seem to bother me, but as soon as I ate something containing white flour, I had painful spasms the next morning. As a matter of fact, it was pancakes that I ate. I repeated this experiment again, and the same thing happened. I read recently that people with IBS should avoid pancakes and waffles. Anyone have any feedback on this? I'd really appreciate it

·
Registered
63 Posts
dgasblaster, Perhaps you have an intolerance to the specific type of wheat used in bread (and pancakes etc). It is a different type of wheat than used in pasta. pasta is made from durum wheat,is a different species of grain (same genus though) and has a different number of chromosomes. I am sure Durum wheat still has gluten in it, although probably a lesser amount. Not sure if you can use durum flour for replacement of regular flour. Can you eat bread? IF you can't then it is probably the bread flour. but if you can eat bread and other things made with bread flour I would suspect something else besides the flour; maybe eggs, syrup, baking powder. Figuring out food trigger or intolerances is tricky. Don't assume things are safe based on logic. It took me awhile to narrow down what bothers me (high fat especially dairy fat, coffee, raw veggies, corn) but it is worth it because I am able to eat a lot of things I thought I couldn't like french fries and pizza if they aren't too greasy. good luckSG

·
Registered
8 Posts
Gluten intolerance or Coeliac would also apply to pasta which this person has no problem with apparently Much more likely its the additives/chemicals used in the treatment/production of white flour may even be a raisin agent .........in the USA this is frequently a Aluminium salt Aluminium is for many people a potent cause of a plethora of symptoms and problems

·
Registered
10 Posts
i'm so glad i read this post!!! i was having bouts of really bad IBS these past 2 weeks and after reading this post, i decided to follow your advice and experiment with different wheat/grains/flour. the 1st day i cut out my daily bagel in the morning and i felt a big difference, although not 100% but there was an affect. now i know to stay away from bagels when i feel an bad hit coming on. i am also continuing to eat certain foods solo just to test my body with it. it will be a long process but knowing what to take in is well worth it.thanks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.