Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anyone else has problems with using tampons?Sometimes (and this is intermittent) I find wearing them can be extremely painful and when I need to pee - it stings like hell.Its not that I'm not putting them in fully I am....just after a few hours they suddenly start to irritate my bladder and cause me pain...I also find I go through super plus tampons within about 3-4 hours - when most people are supposed to be able to wear them for upto 8 hours..anyone else have similar experience? or any advice?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi Clair...Well I have problems also using tampons...in fact I can't wear them hardly at all. My problem is that when I have a tampon inserted...correctly I may add
... that it feels like I have a stick in me all the way up into my upper stomach
GAWD!!!! Talk about pain
But once in a great while when my period isn't quite so heavy, like towards the end, I sometimes try a teen- slim- fit tampon. And even then I can only wear it just for a few hours...by the way I'm not a teen I'm 49 yrs old.Also just FYI...no one should be wearing a tampon for more than a few hours at a time anyway...let alone 8 hours
Sorry I couldn't be of more help to you.rain

·
Registered
208 Posts
Hi Clair,I often find tampons uncomfortable when my flow isn't bright red anymore. When it gets very dark in color it also irritates me inside and out, anyplace it touches my skin. Tampons make that worse so I usually switch to pads when that happens and use disposable wipes, they're pretty soothing. Not sure if that's what you're describing, but I thought I'd give it a shot.Don't worry about the super plus tampons. My periods have always been heavy, and there are usually one or two days when I need to wear two at a time with an overnight pad, and change at least the tampons every hour. There's a lot of variation from one woman to the next, you sound very normal.

·
Registered
619 Posts
I can't wear them either! They cause me pain and I'm not real sure but I think having a tipped uterus may have something to do with it. My sister, mother, niece and daughter have tipped uterus' also and wearing tampons are uncomfortable for them as well.Jleigh

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
I can't wear tampons very often either. I get bad menstrual cramps, and it seems like wearing a tampon when I'm cramping just makes the pain worse. And even though they are inserted properly, my body actually pushes at them so they get to the point where they are no longer comfortable and I have to adjust the position if I want to continue wearing them. I think my body just thinks it's a great big clot
After the cramping and clotting is over, often the flow is light enough that the tampon is too dry when I try to remove it. So I have maybe a day where my flow is heavy enough for tampons but I'm not cramping. I usually just wear my always ultra-thin maxis. Sometimes I wish I didn't have so much trouble with tampons!I don't do so well with going to the bathroom while I'm wearing a tampon. I think I just pee too much. And of course my IBS-D is worse when I'm on my period, which is another reason to not wear tampons.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You don't know what a relief it is to know I'm not alone with this problem :love: its not something you can exactly really go around asking
I have very heavy periods and go through sanitary products like they are going out of fashion...I often get the feeling that my body is pushing them out too....especially when I have to pee and I can feel them shifting position and becoming uncomfortable and eventually painful...I thought perhaps it was me that I was tensing my pelvic muscles too much...but it sure is reassuring to know that other IBS sufferers get similar problems and that I'm not a freak!
I switch between using tampons and pads (when tampon wearing gets too painful) but I have to admit I dont like wearing towels because I hate the sehsation of constant 'dripping'.Gosh being a woman can be a pain sometimes

·
Registered
318 Posts
HiI have lots of these problems like my body pushing the tampon out. I also find that when my cervix is low it is hard to even get them in. Does anybody ever find that they can leak past a new clean tampon that has only just been inserted? As for peeing I often have to take a tampon out in order to go - it wont come out otherwise or the flow is very slow. I'd appreciate knowing if anyone else suffers from these problems.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I think you and I have a lot of the same issues! My bladder is irritable even on good days, much less during my period. Sometimes I have to take the tampon out to be able to pee. If I pee, then take it out, I find I can pee more, so I think it presses on stuff in there. I also often have the things leak right after I put them in, and have to start all over again. The supers are a bit hefty to handle, I prefer the slim versions, and the junior size tampons don't bother me at all, though they aren't of much use at the beginning. I don't wear one at night, and if I am hanging out at home, I just use a pad. I figure it is healthier just to let if flow out naturally when I can.Marie

·
Registered
318 Posts
Do you know Marie, when i read your posts it's like reading about my own issues. I don't wear tampons at home, only when I go out cos I hate the feelings of towels and worry about odours. I know what you mean about it feeling healthier to go natural. If u do find any 'cures' for all out problems then do let me know! I'm feeling really down at the moment as I seem to feeling unwell all the time without any 'good times' at all.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
StedwellYour not alone there
I also find I can hardly pee with the tampon in - I sit there for ages trying to squeeze a drop out and nothing comes despite a full bladder so in the end I revert to taking it out to go to the loo.Marie - I can't really use the slimline ones because my flow is too heavy and I'd be taking it out not long after putting them in.Hadn't realised that other women were having same problem, I wonder if its related to IBS sometimes...as I often get an irritable bladder as well as a result of my digestive system playing up.

·
Registered
840 Posts
The first two days are too heavy for me to wear tampons, even the super plus. The third day I wear the super plus, my period last 7, 8 days always. I tried a tampon the first day but i go thrue it in 1/2 hour, so i use pads.

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
I can only wear tampons sometimes. Its touch and go weather i can get them in or not. SOmetimes they slip down a bit and it makes sitting down uncomfortable. When i am on the first day or 2 of my period i can't bear to put one on because i feel so sore and tender due to period pain anyway. Then my flow gets patchy and if i put one in then it often hurts to take out because its not full, but i can't leave it in any longer because it would be unhealthy. Four hours is about average. I don't like sleeping with them in. But i HATE 'dripping' feeling also. Its a nightmare being a woman.

·
Registered
820 Posts
I flow very heavy for 7 full days. I MUST wear a tampon or I couldn't function outside of my home! I have to wear the super plus and change every 2 hrs for the first two days at least and the heavy absorbent pads. I can't even walk or lie around the house without a tampon or I'll mess up my bedding or clothing! When you're flowing so heavily how does only a pad take care of your needs??? And, please enlighten me --- what is a towel??? The only towel I know is the one I dry off with after a shower. I've seen a couple of you refer to a towel. Is it something new that you wear during your cycle???

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Wow that's some flow Patty! When I was first getting periods they were pretty darn heavy (thank god for the pill!). I used the smaller tampons since I was new to them and didn't want to use the max size. I wore a pantyliner just in case.... and bled through that regular tampon in an hour or so!
I've found that my always ultrathin maxipads can hold an awful lot of flow. I had some HUGE "overnighter" pads that I used to wear overnight and when my flow and cramps were at their worst, back in the days before the pill and good pain meds... I was home in agony so I didn't worry too much about wearing a bulky pad to school.Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think when our friends in the UK say "towel", they are referring to a pad?

·
Registered
820 Posts
Luna,I use the Stayfree Ultrathin maxi pads! Those things are great, even tho they look thin and feel thin, they hold an enormous amount!! I swear by them!I was on the bc pill for as long as I could until my blood pressure became uncontrollable and it helped tremendously with my flow. Glad you can take them.Thanks for enlightening me on the towel thingie!

·
Registered
318 Posts
Sorry, that was probably me with the 'towel' a quaint english term. However I have adopted American terms since posting on this board - even my family have noticed that I know say 'pee' instead of 'wee' and 'poop' instead of 'poo'!!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.