Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi EverybodyYesterday I saw this news item.http://www.baltimoresun.com/business/bal-b...iness-headlinesThe drug, which analysts say is close to becoming the first pure stem cell product on the market, is already under investigation as a treatment for a rare condition associated with bone marrow transplants. But if it also gains approval as a therapy for Crohn's disease - and possibly its cousin Irritable Bowel Syndrome - the drug Prochymal could be the first stem-cell product with a large application as well as a big breadwinner for the newly public Osiris.Can anybody throw light on this stem cell therapy? In what way will it help IBS patients?Is it for IBS - D or IBS - C ?I am very excited.

·
Registered
9,141 Posts
THANKS FOR THE ARTICLE!However,there is a huge mistake in the article.Write to them and ask them to do another article to repare.IBD and IBS combined affect around 20% of the population!!!NOT only "one million" like they said in the article!!!HUGE MISTAKE FROM THE AUTHOR OF THE ARTICLE

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes I too realized it. I know it affects many more than what the article says. Might be the author might have meant the number afflicted every year.(Assuming he meant 1 million per year if you allow a life expectancy of 60 to 70 years it roughly works out to 60 to 70 million total patients) I have asked the publication to provide more information on the part which says "Possible treatment for its cousin ibs" I still have a doubt whether Prochmal could be a possible treatment for IBS" I have asked for a clarification from Osiris also. I hope they respond. Anyway this drug is revolutionary in that it suppressed the auto immune response but not the normal immune resonse to pathogens. That itself is a fantastic news. It is touted to be useful in many disorders which have an inflammatory aspect to it. I tried to find out articles which link inflammation with IBS. I did find out that inflammation is a cause in a fraction of IBS cases. Lets see what Osiris has to say about this.

·
Registered
9,141 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Spasman,That was an excellent article. So lets hope that trials are started at the earliest in IBS patients with Prochymal. I am now really excited and upbeat. I frankly was of the impression that stem cell therapy would take 10 to 15 years from now to reach patients because of the ethical issues. But Osiris uses adult stem cells without rejection issues. So donor and recepient need not be related. Their website is www.osiristx.com

1 - 5 of 5 Posts