Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I occasionally get this problem which is known to be associated with IBS. For those that don't know, it is an intense, painful feeling of tightness in the anal/rectal region. Usually it last for anything from 10 minutes up to an hour. Most often it happens at night and I end up having to get out of bed till it passes off. The only thing which I find that gives me some help is to tighten the pelvic floor muscles which seems to counter the pain, doing this usually stops the pain more quickly. Does anyone have any suggestions or things they do that works. Would Keigel's exercises work?

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
It also happens fairly commonly in people without IBS. (for a while in the med lit it appeared that this only happened to doctors and patients didn't want to talk to them about pain there, but several doctors who had it wrote about it. If you do phone surveys and ask the right kinds of questions it turns out that lots of people get this from time to time)It is kinda like a charlie horse in the rectum. Some people find that massaging down the crack (or leaning up against the corner of a table) can relieve the cramping. Maybe you are doing the same thing with the pelvic floor exercises. http://www.ibsgroup.org/cgi-local/ubbcgi/u...=10&t=000267&p= Has some info on this that I found in an article on it.K.

G

·
I had that problem for many, many years. I found that sitting on the pot and massaging the anal area with TP was about as good a therapy as there was...passing gas seems to help is some cases.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.