Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Prolific Member, iSupportIBS
470 Posts
Hi Fiona - I have seen Prof Whorwell and he didn't do any blood tests on me. But of course everyone is different. He did say to me that he sees a lot of people from all over the UK who expect him to sort them out but he said that the reality is that that rarely happens as IBS is so difficult to deal with; hopefully you will be one of the lucky ones.Good luck and let us know how you get on.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi and thanks for your post. I have been told its not IBS but Gastritis, and bile reflux was on one of my samples.. The con changes his mind. I do hope that he will guide me in the right direction!Has he helped you?Fiona

·
470 Posts
Fiona - no he didn't help me. He suggested that I take Align (a probiotic) and Bimuno (a prebiotic) and to stop eating cereals which I did but they didn't help.Hopefully he will help you though. Let us know what he suggests please.How was your gastritis diagnosed please?Good luck!

·
470 Posts
HiAfter my 3rd Endoscopy, they said I have gastritis.I'll let you know what he says.Fiona x
Hi FionaI am interested to know why you had 3 endoscopies. Did they think they had missed something? Did you have them done by different doctors? What are your symptoms please? I am interested as I have never considered having another endoscopy and it might be something that I will try for.In the meantime I would be keen to know what Whorwell suggests for you.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
long story. the 2nd one I had done in Jan 10, the nurse told me that there was inflammation.. But they didnt write on my notes.Months of pain followed. I saw my consultant again and he said personnal he would do an endoscope. Found alot of inflammation..gastritis.Glad I had another one.R U in the uk?.fx

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
HiMeeting Prof whorwell went ok. He has arranged a scan and blood tests to check things out. Said Gastritis, and IBS, and gave me a diet sheet. Basically White bread, no fibre food etc.that woud irrate the GI tract. said got very sensitive one..Wanted me to go back on Nortriptyline but I said No. I had terrible side effect and currently going throu terrible withdrawals. put me down for hypnotherapyTold me to take Activa yogurt 150ml per day to sooth the gutFiona x

·
470 Posts
HiMeeting Prof whorwell went ok. He has arranged a scan and blood tests to check things out. Said Gastritis, and IBS, and gave me a diet sheet. Basically White bread, no fibre food etc.that woud irrate the GI tract. said got very sensitive one..Wanted me to go back on Nortriptyline but I said No. I had terrible side effect and currently going throu terrible withdrawals. put me down for hypnotherapyTold me to take Activa yogurt 150ml per day to sooth the gutFiona x
Hi Fiona - pleased that it went well. It is strange how most doctors suggest more fibre for IBS and he says cut it right down; but either way you should follow his advice.Shame about the side effects on Nortriptyline as anti-depressants in low doses do wonders for many people with IBS. Surprised he didn't suggest another type such as mirtazapine which works differently and has much less side effects.If you want to get started on hypnotherapy because you will have a long wait on the NHS you could try the IBS Audio Program 100 (Google it).I was just reading some reviews of people who took aloe vera for both gastritis and IBS and had some superb results. Doesn't work for everyone but might be worth a try.Good luck!

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi..I was reading about mirtazapine .Are you on it?.Yes I have been looking at the program 100. Yes I have been looking at the diet thing. I use to have porriage in the morning and it seem ok. I have been having rice crispies, might try porriage tomorrow.Today i Have got terrible stomach cramps. These Lansoprozol 45mg are giving me terrible pains. I was on 60mg and reduced. I have asked Prof Whorwell what he suggestes. He said come off them, and see what happens. They do say try a H2 blocker like zantac..not sure what to do.Are you seeing him again?Fiona

·
470 Posts
Hi..I was reading about mirtazapine .Are you on it?.Yes I have been looking at the program 100. Yes I have been looking at the diet thing. I use to have porriage in the morning and it seem ok. I have been having rice crispies, might try porriage tomorrow.Today i Have got terrible stomach cramps. These Lansoprozol 45mg are giving me terrible pains. I was on 60mg and reduced. I have asked Prof Whorwell what he suggestes. He said come off them, and see what happens. They do say try a H2 blocker like zantac..not sure what to do.Are you seeing him again?Fiona
FionaI am on Mirtazapine. I take 30mgs per day. Had no side effects whatosever. Certainly helps me get a good night's sleep with no 'episodes'.I will not be seeing Prof Whorwell again as I don't think he can help me any more than doctors locally. I live in Hertfordshire so he is a long way away.Not sure why you mentioned diet. I was suggesting Aloe Vera. Anyway, porridge is high fibre, I thought Whorwell wanted you on low fibre.Keep us posted and good luck.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Hi Are you on Mirtazapine. for anxiety or IBS? did he put you on it?I mentioned diet thinking out loud really.
yes he does want mr on low fibre. He mentioned I might get Constapited. I have only just got the part of me under control after months, so to use a laxative I dont really want to do..I have just ordered the IBs Programm 100. see if it helps.What are your syptoms of IBS ?fiona

1 - 13 of 13 Posts