Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, i have spoke to a few people on the bb about this.It seems to me i am at my worst with ovulation & with the P,however,i feel my best and have the most energy a week before my P,and have a great appetite,which makes no sense to me.I am for the 2nd time on a progestin only pill,and its killing me,i am probably going to have to stop it. My gastro told me last week,do NOT take the progestin pill,as it is known to cause woman with IBS more pain,for me its the right side (more pain) yet the GY says take it,it will help,so now what? Anyone know anything about this? i am at a loss for ideas,and also wonder about hormone levels during the month.I also suspect as does my dr i ovulate twice a month.I don't get C or D,just pain.Thankyou
Krissy

·
Registered
254 Posts
Hi! I'm sorry, I'm unclear why you're taking progesterone. I'm taking it now because I just finished a successful in vitro fertilization treatment. Anyway, it has made me much worse. More bloating and c. I have to take it for 12 weeks and have no choice. If you have a choice, stop and ask gyn if you can take something else. Good luck!

·
Registered
254 Posts
Hi! I'm sorry, I'm unclear why you're taking progesterone. I'm taking it now because I just finished a successful in vitro fertilization treatment. Anyway, it has made me much worse. More bloating and c. I have to take it for 12 weeks and have no choice. If you have a choice, stop and ask gyn if you can take something else. Good luck!

·
Registered
228 Posts
Hey this is something for me to look into as I'm on Progesterone and Premarin for menapause and hot flashes. I have been on it for over 10 years and as I think about it that last 10 years my IBS"D" have been at its worse. Guess I will be doing some searching on the internet to see what I can find out. I will by all means talk to my Pharmist and Dr.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Hey this is something for me to look into as I'm on Progesterone and Premarin for menapause and hot flashes. I have been on it for over 10 years and as I think about it that last 10 years my IBS"D" have been at its worse. Guess I will be doing some searching on the internet to see what I can find out. I will by all means talk to my Pharmist and Dr.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
There's definitely a relationship between IBS and hormones. It's a complicated one. Eric has been posting about this and Jaxtrader, too. Eric, Jaxtrader, any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
There's definitely a relationship between IBS and hormones. It's a complicated one. Eric has been posting about this and Jaxtrader, too. Eric, Jaxtrader, any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi Gail & Taffy, i think Jax said the same as my dr. progestin is a smooth muscle relaxer,which if true would make my right side hurt more,by more trapped gas/stool.I am also on antibiotics for the Lyme right now,but it seems to me its the pill! Taffy,if you find anything let me know. Krissy

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi Gail & Taffy, i think Jax said the same as my dr. progestin is a smooth muscle relaxer,which if true would make my right side hurt more,by more trapped gas/stool.I am also on antibiotics for the Lyme right now,but it seems to me its the pill! Taffy,if you find anything let me know. Krissy

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
K, that info you sent me was the best I'm ever read on pelvic/lower ab. pain, and I think I could relate to nearly 3/4 of it. (I probably have adeno. and maybe IC as well, which they also had links to.) Should we post it here?I'm going to try a smaller amount of my nat. pro. cream next time, even though what I've been taking would be considered conservative. When I first started taking it, I experienced nothing but relief, practically: less of that nerve burning, better sleep, milder cramps, etc. (and a happier feeling). But, then, I wonder if I started building up too much of it (I wouldn't have thought that too likely, but...). But, still, I'll cut back again and see if the gnawing and throbbing pain, as mentioned in that article, lighten up any. I seem to be very "sensitive" when it comes to anything! As always, interesting stuff.

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
K, that info you sent me was the best I'm ever read on pelvic/lower ab. pain, and I think I could relate to nearly 3/4 of it. (I probably have adeno. and maybe IC as well, which they also had links to.) Should we post it here?I'm going to try a smaller amount of my nat. pro. cream next time, even though what I've been taking would be considered conservative. When I first started taking it, I experienced nothing but relief, practically: less of that nerve burning, better sleep, milder cramps, etc. (and a happier feeling). But, then, I wonder if I started building up too much of it (I wouldn't have thought that too likely, but...). But, still, I'll cut back again and see if the gnawing and throbbing pain, as mentioned in that article, lighten up any. I seem to be very "sensitive" when it comes to anything! As always, interesting stuff.

G

·
the enteric nervous system of the gut responds to intestinal distension (by food) and triggers contraction of smooth muscle fibers in gut wall. if you have distended bowel because of food/gas and have lost ability to contract bowel to move products through because of progesterone's relaxation of muscle, you will be left with cramping and pain from distension. pain nerve fibers in bowel wall are very sensitive to distension.what antibiotic are you taking for Lyme disease and how long have you been taking it? did symptoms worsen after you started antibiotic?[This message has been edited by jaxtrader (edited 08-10-2001).]

G

·
the enteric nervous system of the gut responds to intestinal distension (by food) and triggers contraction of smooth muscle fibers in gut wall. if you have distended bowel because of food/gas and have lost ability to contract bowel to move products through because of progesterone's relaxation of muscle, you will be left with cramping and pain from distension. pain nerve fibers in bowel wall are very sensitive to distension.what antibiotic are you taking for Lyme disease and how long have you been taking it? did symptoms worsen after you started antibiotic?[This message has been edited by jaxtrader (edited 08-10-2001).]

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi Jax, i was hoping you'd show up!
I am on Doxyclomine (spelling?) i started it on Thursday night 100mg x2. I also started the progestin pill on Sunday,and just like the last time i was on a progestin only pill,my right side is really bothering me.Last time i was on it for 2 weeks,and had enough,at the advice of my dr,i am on a different type of progestin this time,Norgestrel,last time i was on Norethindrone,i have no idea if they are the same thing,in a sense. I am not a C or D person,just "slow" I can say its getting worse,but i don't know if its the pill,since i started that first,but i am going downhill.Thanks
Krissy

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi Jax, i was hoping you'd show up!
I am on Doxyclomine (spelling?) i started it on Thursday night 100mg x2. I also started the progestin pill on Sunday,and just like the last time i was on a progestin only pill,my right side is really bothering me.Last time i was on it for 2 weeks,and had enough,at the advice of my dr,i am on a different type of progestin this time,Norgestrel,last time i was on Norethindrone,i have no idea if they are the same thing,in a sense. I am not a C or D person,just "slow" I can say its getting worse,but i don't know if its the pill,since i started that first,but i am going downhill.Thanks
Krissy

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
thx, jax. I have been having all sorts of gas?? pains - all over my abdomen and even left side, which is uncharacteristic for me. I also have been having, like I said, horrid lower-right (pelvic) gnawing and throbbing. so, perhaps it's a bit too much pro. - though I've just been using a conservative amount of a conservative OTC cream. also, could Tequin, then Macrobid (which I'm on now) be negatively affecting me, I wonder?

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
thx, jax. I have been having all sorts of gas?? pains - all over my abdomen and even left side, which is uncharacteristic for me. I also have been having, like I said, horrid lower-right (pelvic) gnawing and throbbing. so, perhaps it's a bit too much pro. - though I've just been using a conservative amount of a conservative OTC cream. also, could Tequin, then Macrobid (which I'm on now) be negatively affecting me, I wonder?

G

·
anytime a person takes antibiotics, expect GI distress. good rule of thumb. abx usually affect normal intestinal flora -> leads to GI problems. nothing really to do about it except take with food unless otherwise directed by your physician. only exception is if you have intractable D after prolonged course of abx...then worth mentioning to your physician. could be something we call C.Diff colitis. otherwise symptoms should improve after finishing course of abx. yogurt is rumored to help.combining abx with new progestin at same time is recipe for GI trouble. something to consider: stool softener (colace available OTC) or fiber supplements for regularity. when starting fiber, best to start low and titrate up dose as cramping is common initial symptom when starting. synthetic fibers are reported to cause less cramping then natural...i don't really have an opinion about that.any time someone has progressive lower right abd pain (with fever and tenderness over area if you push on it?), that person should see physician and be ruled out for appendicitis.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.