Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently studied one of the blogs by Dr. Mark Pimentel where he emphasized role of Small Intestine Bacterial Overgrowth ( SIBO ) in prevalence of IBS. One of the causes of SIBO, as he expounded, is slow motility of Small Intestine. Should i take a prokinetics like erthromycin to improve the motility of Small intestine.

My another concern is since i am suffering from diarrhea predominant IBS would taking prokinetics would worsen the diarrhea.

I am taking Amitriptyline, Rifaximin, probiotics and PPI for management of IBS.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi dlind70,

Do you know of any other natural prokinetics? Has your experience been that fermented foods can be prokinetic? I do not like the idea of taking a drug to increase intestinal motility? (spelling?) It makes no sense that nature would not provide that for humans and animals.

·
Registered
6 Posts
What is the purpose of the PPI to decrease HCL or interfere with the H pylori bacteria's way of survival which is to make the environment more alkaline so they can survive the stomach acid. Has your doctor explained their reasoning to you? Most of us on this site probably do not have enough stomach acid and that is what partly has caused the issues. You would not want to supress your stomach acid because it kills bad bacteria and viruses. Depending upon what you have been officially diagnosed with you might want to increase your stomach acids by HCL or Apple Cider Vinegar before you eat and an especially high protein meals. How is your digestion? Mine has improved since adding the HCL. I also do Apple Cider Vinegar if I have acid reflux which does not happen often but if it does that works very well. One tablespoon in about 4-6 ounces of water.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hi Jillfusia,

i was diagnosed with Pan gastritis during endoscopy of the stomach and upper duedonam.

so i guess that might be a compelling reason for prescribing me PPI.

Let me try with apple cider vinegar if it helps.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.