Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi-had my first biofeedback session today to establish that I'm doing my sphincter exercises correctly ( I am-although squeeze pressures are slightly below normal) to help with urgency. Being anxious about it I decided to try out the propanolol tabs my GP gave me to try last week. I took 4x 10mg-the dose recommended in the leaflet. Anyway, despite being very sceptical about it working-it actually seemed to work pretty well. However, I did notice that I as walked back up the hill to my car after the test that I had to stop several times as my legs just became too tired. I did that walk only about 6w ago and certainly don't remember having to stop. I presume it is the effect of the tablets -only other thing I could think of was that I'm anemic causing shortness of breath. Anyone, have any ideas or tried this medication. I think it worked as well (in this instance, anyway) as diazepam so I'm really happy that I might have found something that helps me.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't know that I'm anemic-was just wondering why I felt so short of breath/legs not able to cope when walking up the hill and having a guess. Most likely the propanolol-I think. I'm thinking though that I should get my thyroid checked-I did an online test and scored 25/38 for possible thyroid problem. One dose of propanolol made me feel better than I've felt in a year and apparently it can help with hyperactive thyroid probs. Always looking for a reason for my d.....my thyroid is probably absolutely fine!!!!!!!

·
Registered
414 Posts
I take propranolol to help with the anxiety. I only take 1 10mg tablet in the mornings and another at lunch time if I need it. I have to be very very careful as I also suffer with very mild asthma and they really don't like to mix the 2. So if I feel wheezy I don't take them. One doctor refused point blank to let me have them at all after I had been taking them for months, so I went to see another. He knows I'll be sensible about taking them, They really do help with the anxiety though and i don't know where I would be now without them. I struggled to go out anywhere and they have helped a lot. They do make me tired and my legs ache a bit even with only one 10mg tablet so perhaps try taking 1 and see how it goes?

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks Claire. I actually used another 4x 10mg propanolol today -to meet with someone at lunchtime and then the dentist later in the afternoon. No walking uphill involved so wasn't a problem. Im reluctant to drop the dose as I've found something that works and I need to keep faith. If I dropped to say 20mg and it didn't work then I would remember that next time and maybe the 40mg wouldn't do its job either. Learnt behaviour-unfortunatley I'm good at that. I really need to forget some of my bad experiences which are obviously not the norm but the ones that I remember.... panic and then I'm off again. My BP dropped to 89/60 and my pulse was 59 as opposed to 108 last time at the dentist........I feel normal on this drug.....nothing else has really made me feel normal for about 20yrs. Of course it wears off and I only want to use it when I have to but at least I have something in reserve instead of my diazepam which I haven't touched since I got the propanolol.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.