Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,In the interests of enhancing my gym work I have begun consuming soya isolate protein. It is powdered form and I simply mix it in my morning oatmeal. I have been taking it for about a week now and am struggling yet again with having regular BM's. I use soya milk in my diet anyway and also consume tofu so I do already have some soya in my diet. Could the soya protein however be the problem? It says on the tin that it is pure soya protein isolate, nothing else added, but also says in small print at the bottom that it contains phenylalanine. Could this be the culprit??

·
Registered
830 Posts
i am always extremely suspicious of anything that ends in "ine" or "ene" or has "phenyl" in it because it is practically guaranteed to be some kind of stimulant or speed. which i can't take because, well, it makes me speed. if you want more protein why don't you throw a couple of poached or boiled eggs onto your morning oatmeal? or eat an organic steak? better for you than those muscle-builder, protein powders, who knows what's in them? g-

·
Registered
389 Posts
The phenylalanine is simply aspartame. This would not likely cause constipation. I do, however think that increasing protein intake can have an effect on BMs, possibly a constipating one. Maybe try to increase your dose more gradually. If the aspartame bothers you, you should be able to purchase an unsweetened protein powder. Good luck!

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
A lot of pure protein isolates will have phenylalanine in them as it is one of the standard amino acids used to make protiens (it is combined with another amino acid to make aspartame).It would HAVE to list Equal or Aspartame under the ingredient lists if it had that.People with PKU must limit ALL phenylalanine in the diet, so if this particular protien is a significant source of phenylalanine they HAVE to list that to protect the people born with PKU.Generally protien isn't by itself constipating, unless it ends up you eat less fiber during the day from increasing protien. Just adding it in the morning, all things being equal...it would be hard to see how it alone would make a difference (but then again some people respond all kinds of ways...AND you could also be reacting to some other trigger and this is just what is obvious to you).K.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for your helpful comments. Literally all it says in the ingredients list is soya protein isolate. Then under all the nutrition info it states contains phenylalanine. I also discovered this to be an amino acid and so agree this won't be doing any harm. This stuff is not sold as a bodybuilding supplement as such, it is simply soya protein, thus there is nothing else added in the ingrediants list. Another reason for me consuming it is that I prefer to stick to small regular meals rather than eating big meals. This does mean though that with my amount of exerise I am not actually getting enough fuel inside me to be able to improve - I tend to reach a plateu, and it has been suggested that maybe I don't have sufficient building blocks i.e. fuel to be able to move forward. Taking the protein powder seemed prefereable to over loading my tunny and then having the bloatedness, pain etc that tends to follow if I over eat. However if its aggravating my C then maybe its not such a good idea!! Isn't life complicated!!!

·
Registered
389 Posts
Maybe it's the soy? Have you eaten soy products before. I personally cannot tolerate them as I get major gas from them. Maybe they make you constipated. If you could tolerate whey protein, you could try that?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yeah I have soya milk and margarine containing soya as I avoid dairy. But maybe its because its kind of concentrated, maybe I am taking too much in one go for my body to cope with. I am going to try reducing the amount and see what happens......By the way does anyone know why in the UK we call it soya and in the US it's soy????? I am assuming its the same thing!!!

·
Registered
830 Posts
it is called "soya" in the UK because that's what you all call it just like the french call it "soja" and so forth. i could list a whole lot more for your amusement if you like; lift vs. elevator, parking vs. parking lot, chips vs. french fries, crisps vs. potato chips, lack of the articles "the" or "a" before hospital/toothache/stomachache and the list goes on. g-

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.