Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Eric's recent comment to me about brain fog and serotonin reminded me that I haven't had a case of severe brain fog since I started taking a quarter dose (50mg I think) of Provigil daily. This med is a treatment for narcolepsy and excessive daytime sleepiness.The only problem is that it's expensive (about the cost of a pack of cigs a day) and my insurance doesn't cover it without a sleep test diagnosis of narcolepsy. This is something I don't want, of course, so I won't take the test. Anyway, does anyone else suffer from this, and, if so, what are you doing for it?

·
Registered
442 Posts
What do you mean by YOUR brain fog?In my case the IBS created a lot of troubles outside the gut: feeling tired, itching scalp, "brain fog", back pain,...MY brain fog was if i have not sleeped well and i'm tired.Since i took garlic pills and my D is gone (unless special very bad conditions) i have no more itching scalp (i had this condition for 10 years + and have used many types of shampoos without success) and brain fog. Seems that the *lot* of bacteria i had inside my gut was poisonning my body??? who knows.------ bye (IBS since 1980)

·
Registered
442 Posts
What do you mean by YOUR brain fog?In my case the IBS created a lot of troubles outside the gut: feeling tired, itching scalp, "brain fog", back pain,...MY brain fog was if i have not sleeped well and i'm tired.Since i took garlic pills and my D is gone (unless special very bad conditions) i have no more itching scalp (i had this condition for 10 years + and have used many types of shampoos without success) and brain fog. Seems that the *lot* of bacteria i had inside my gut was poisonning my body??? who knows.------ bye (IBS since 1980)

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
The sleep tests for narcolepsy really aren't bad, and generally covered by insurance.I've had both the overnight and the daytime nap test. (The daytime nap is more for narcolepsy than the overnight and its you go in for the day they put the electrodes on your head and you have to stay awake for 2 hours then lay down for 20 minutes, repeat). Overnight the do the elctodes (they are not inside your head just attached to the scalp--it will give you glue dandruff for a day or so afterward) and they also have things on the outside of your body to monitor oxygen (think ET with the glowing finger) and breathing which are straps on the outside.It's a little hard to fall asleep at first because they feel funny, but none of it is painful, even the esophageal balloon.I also HAD to do the esophageal balloon test which sounds much worse than it is as well as I had upper airway resistance syndrome and that is the only way that is diagnosed.First we did an standard overnight,then the nap test,then the overnight with the esophageal balloon.K.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
The sleep tests for narcolepsy really aren't bad, and generally covered by insurance.I've had both the overnight and the daytime nap test. (The daytime nap is more for narcolepsy than the overnight and its you go in for the day they put the electrodes on your head and you have to stay awake for 2 hours then lay down for 20 minutes, repeat). Overnight the do the elctodes (they are not inside your head just attached to the scalp--it will give you glue dandruff for a day or so afterward) and they also have things on the outside of your body to monitor oxygen (think ET with the glowing finger) and breathing which are straps on the outside.It's a little hard to fall asleep at first because they feel funny, but none of it is painful, even the esophageal balloon.I also HAD to do the esophageal balloon test which sounds much worse than it is as well as I had upper airway resistance syndrome and that is the only way that is diagnosed.First we did an standard overnight,then the nap test,then the overnight with the esophageal balloon.K.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
kmottus, I really meant that my preference is not to have the test, because I don't want a diagnosis of narcolepsy in my medical records. I can imagine all kinds of problems, including potential DMV problems, and that's a nightmare I don't need. Sorry if I didn't communicate this very well.My brain fog is occasionally I get a pulsing in the back of my neck, and I get very sleepy. Waves of sleepiness hit me with each pulse. This lasts for about an hour or so, and is generally a couple of hours after lunch, although it has happened in the morning a couple of times. I don't generally have the problem if I'm active, and my IBS isn't acting up. However, I'm deskbound at work, so when it hits, it's a real problem. I have to admit that I don't have any idea whether there's an IBS relationship, hypoglycemia, or EDS. Like I said, I mentioned this due to a serotonin reference by Eric.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
kmottus, I really meant that my preference is not to have the test, because I don't want a diagnosis of narcolepsy in my medical records. I can imagine all kinds of problems, including potential DMV problems, and that's a nightmare I don't need. Sorry if I didn't communicate this very well.My brain fog is occasionally I get a pulsing in the back of my neck, and I get very sleepy. Waves of sleepiness hit me with each pulse. This lasts for about an hour or so, and is generally a couple of hours after lunch, although it has happened in the morning a couple of times. I don't generally have the problem if I'm active, and my IBS isn't acting up. However, I'm deskbound at work, so when it hits, it's a real problem. I have to admit that I don't have any idea whether there's an IBS relationship, hypoglycemia, or EDS. Like I said, I mentioned this due to a serotonin reference by Eric.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.