Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
33,934 Posts
The sleep tests for narcolepsy really aren't bad, and generally covered by insurance.I've had both the overnight and the daytime nap test. (The daytime nap is more for narcolepsy than the overnight and its you go in for the day they put the electrodes on your head and you have to stay awake for 2 hours then lay down for 20 minutes, repeat). Overnight the do the elctodes (they are not inside your head just attached to the scalp--it will give you glue dandruff for a day or so afterward) and they also have things on the outside of your body to monitor oxygen (think ET with the glowing finger) and breathing which are straps on the outside.It's a little hard to fall asleep at first because they feel funny, but none of it is painful, even the esophageal balloon.I also HAD to do the esophageal balloon test which sounds much worse than it is as well as I had upper airway resistance syndrome and that is the only way that is diagnosed.First we did an standard overnight,then the nap test,then the overnight with the esophageal balloon.K.

· Registered
33,934 Posts
The sleep tests for narcolepsy really aren't bad, and generally covered by insurance.I've had both the overnight and the daytime nap test. (The daytime nap is more for narcolepsy than the overnight and its you go in for the day they put the electrodes on your head and you have to stay awake for 2 hours then lay down for 20 minutes, repeat). Overnight the do the elctodes (they are not inside your head just attached to the scalp--it will give you glue dandruff for a day or so afterward) and they also have things on the outside of your body to monitor oxygen (think ET with the glowing finger) and breathing which are straps on the outside.It's a little hard to fall asleep at first because they feel funny, but none of it is painful, even the esophageal balloon.I also HAD to do the esophageal balloon test which sounds much worse than it is as well as I had upper airway resistance syndrome and that is the only way that is diagnosed.First we did an standard overnight,then the nap test,then the overnight with the esophageal balloon.K.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.