Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have any of you taken Prozac for IBS & had positive results? My sister-in-law says she read an article about a woman with IBS who was prescribed Prozac & she has no more IBS.

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Hi Jennifer. Prozac and other SSRI antidepressants may affect IBS symptoms because they work on serotonin receptors. 95% of serotonin is in your gut and plays a role in motility. I took Prozac for a few weeks and it made my IBS much worse. It gave me terrible diarrhoea and cramps. I reckon this is because it increases the amount of serotonin in the gut. For a constipation type IBSer this may be just the thing that's needed. For me, a D type, this was murder. All SSRI antidepressants do this to me, I simply cannot tolerate them. So I take Remeron instead, which is a new class of antidepressant, it's a NaSSA. It reduces the amount of serotonin in the gut. Best wishes,

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Hi Jennifer. Prozac and other SSRI antidepressants may affect IBS symptoms because they work on serotonin receptors. 95% of serotonin is in your gut and plays a role in motility. I took Prozac for a few weeks and it made my IBS much worse. It gave me terrible diarrhoea and cramps. I reckon this is because it increases the amount of serotonin in the gut. For a constipation type IBSer this may be just the thing that's needed. For me, a D type, this was murder. All SSRI antidepressants do this to me, I simply cannot tolerate them. So I take Remeron instead, which is a new class of antidepressant, it's a NaSSA. It reduces the amount of serotonin in the gut. Best wishes,

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.