Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,I have an appointment for a Psychiatrist to see if he can help with my extreme anxiety/panic caused by my IBS. I looked at my driver's license renewal form, and it is asking if I suffer from any mental disorder, and now I'm getting worried. I don't want to explain this away for the rest of my life on job interviews or permits of various types. I think I should not avoid going because of this reason because I really need the help. But I think it is fair that this should stay between me and my doctor (and the message board, lol). So what is the confidentiality rules? Does the doctor have to inform the government that he's seen me? Will the insurance inform anybody? Will my employer find out from the insurance? One option is to just pay out of pocket and not get insurance involved at all. In that case I can even give a false name to the doctor and that way nobody is sure to ever know. On the other hand I will be paying the huge costs that my employer is supposed to be paying the insurance company to take care of.Does anybody here have any ideas about this issue? Or am I just just being overly paranoid? (Another thing for they psychiatrist to treat...lol).

·
Banned
5,767 Posts
when they ask about a mental disorder they generally mean something like schizophrenia. But if they really mean anxiety or depression it should not be considered a big deal in this day and age. Probably half the population is in treatment for one or the other - if the people you work with make anything of it they are 'weird' people, I say. I don't want to advise you one way or the other but suggest you ask the psychiatrist what to do bout the dilemma.tom

·
Registered
193 Posts
The doctor doesn't have to inform the government that he's seen you... I wouldn't envision it coming up at your work unless it was something that would cause you problems at work. I don't think the insurance company tells them what you are using the insurance for (I am just telling you based on what I know from my own job/insurance, I am not positive that it's the same everywhere). The only possible thing I guess, is that if you are known to have any health problem (mental or physical) it can possibly affect your ability to get insurance in the future. But I agree, maybe you should ask the doctor about it...

·
Registered
81 Posts
No, the confidentiality between you and the therapist are just that-confidential. My long term advice is it's best to be discret. No, don't put that down on the form. The only time the insurance will convey anything is if you are applying for disability through your employer. Likewise, the government(Social Security disability)has the right to ask for the name of physicians you have seen. It's best not to start a trail of medical records that list that info. if you don't want it known. It's like that Seinfeld episode where Elaine was labeled a difficult patient and then she couldn't get any appt. with ANY doctor. Hysterical episode to make a very good point about info. you give out. Been there and because of it major physical illnesses were missed with major consequences. JMO. Gayle

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone for your advice.I've been hearing a lot about a problem where if you are ever treated for anxiety or depression, it may make you uninsurable later in life if you don't have group insurance. This doesn't seem to make much sense to me, since they seem like inexpensive health problems to treat compared to other medical conditions. But then again not a lot in the insurance business seems to make sense. So is this something to worry about? I will ask the doctor, but I need to get pre-certified beforehand by the insurance, so will it be too late by that time?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.