Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hiyeah, my doctor told me one of the main reasons I get things with my stomach is stress. I'm pretty high strung, and a bit of a perfectionist, but the funny thing is, usually when I'm nervous about something I'm feeling the best. But usually it is somewhat related to stress, although you'd be guessing a lot to say stress is the only cause. probably best to get a second opinion, if you haven't already

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've never considered stress until lately. I may have more of an anxiety problem. I never seem to be able to relax. Always going 90 mile-per-hour.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Stress does not cause IBS. It can however, aggravate your gut and cause symptoms. It is generally considered a trigger for IBS, much like certain foods (dairy, raw veggies, etc.). This is one reason relaxation is encouraged, and hypnotherapy has proven to be so effective.AZ

·
Registered
100 Posts
Yep, my GI told me to start yoga or tai chi and gave me the name of a time management book to read!!!!!Of course none of those things made the slightest difference to my G, C and B symptoms.During the most stressful times of my life I have been IBS free (Uni exams, engagement breakup and selling of house etc). However, I notice that when I have a period of sudden great unexpected emotional trauma (as opposed to merely being stressed at work or really busy)as in 3 weeks ago when my relationship ended out of nowhere, I got a bout of intensive D (almost liquid) for a week, then it was back to C again! It was like my body's reaction to shock, and all of those hormones, adrenalin etc which kick in when you experience an unexpected and devastating shock in your life.Definitely a mind-gut connection there...

·
Registered
100 Posts
I'm with mrkareem, my IBS seems to quiet down when I am most stressed--maybe because I don't even have time to go to the bathroom, much less think about it! I actually think I need a certain amount of stress in my life. If stress causes your IBS symptoms to be worse, then why do mrkareem and I seem to do okay when we are rushing? It has baffled me for a while now.------------------Jocelynjocelyn_t99###yahoo.com"The Whos that lived in Whoville liked Christmas a lot, but the Grinch who lived just north of Whoville did not..."

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
Unknown, some stress in our life works as a distration from our IBS. You might notice when you are excited or preoccupied your IBS is better at that moment and later when you come down from being excited your IBS acts up.------------------ http://www.ibshealth.com/ www.ibsaudioprogram.com

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
I agree with the get a second opinion. OTOH Stress reduction techniques can help some people with IBS. Some of that has to do with the stress, but other parts of that may have to do with the interaction between the nerves that tell the brain that there is pain and the brain's reaction to the pain. Some of these techniques work for other pain problems, even ones the doctors are less likely to blame on stress.FWIW I have been doing Tai Chi seriously for the last 2.5 years. The school I am with is promoting a challange where you toss a coin off of the dantien (a point a few inches below the belly button). With the Cognitive Behavioral Therapy and the IBS control I have been able to get the coin 6 inches up in the air!! Without setting off the IBS!!!K

·
Registered
203 Posts
Kmottus, I have been amazed at what Tai Chi has been able to do for me. I have been at it for about 8 years, and have moved on to other of the Taoist arts. I am learning Lok Hup now.. I sort of wish the word could get out that it is a very effective way to manage problems such as IBS. However the results are not immediate (months of effort are required to learn the rudiments of the movements), and constant work is required to progress. People want faster results, and if the problem doesn't go away in a couple weeks, then it is deemed a failure. I have seen some pretty amazing things in the years I have been practicing, but the most inspirational is an 89 year old woman who is a member of my club. In her late 70's, she lost her eyesight and was bed-ridden with arthritis. Somehow, she heard about Tai Chi, and learned the movements. She still comes to the club every day to practice for an hour. I practice the Taoist form.. what school of Tai Chi do you practice? [This message has been edited by bunged up (edited 12-19-2000).]

·
Registered
620 Posts
Stress doesn't seem to have much of an effect on mine either. No better, but no worse either.I'd have to say mine is more diet related.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
It's the other way around--I blame my stress on IBS. Uncertainty, plus inability to exert control over a situation breed hopelessness and stress. There's uncertainty every time I leave the house about whether an attack of D will unexpectedly strike, and whether there will be a bathroom close enough to make it in time. Lack of control is evidenced not only by not being able to "hold it" for long, but by years and years of prescription medicines, natural supplements, anxiety meds and even counseling that don't seem to help all that much. I agree that stress can make the symptoms worse, and sometimes IBS can be a self-fulfilling prophesy. (I worry I will have an attack; therefore I do.) But any dr. who tells me my IBS is caused by stress immediately loses my vote of confidence.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts