Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can Psyllium Husk taken daily actually HELP with gas, bloating, and D? I think of a fiber supplement causing you to GO, and i have plenty of GO. I need relief of gas, bloating, and need firm stools.

Any info> Thanks!!

Reactions: Akn1965

·
Registered
14,427 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
I've not heard of anyone benefiting from it. I've been successfully using diarsoothe- was apparently a remedy that treated dysentery in war time. Also helps e-coli. I like it; it's not sweet, but when chilled tastes a little like dry red wine. stops diarrhea, but better than imodium, as you have to keep consistently taking imodium, but diarsoothe, just take a couple of days in a row.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Will def give it a try happymommy. Never heard of it, but it sounds like a wonderful remedy! If it can stop my D its a miracle cure. Id be opt to taking daily if it helps - im running out of options :( even went the parasite cleanse route. oye!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Be sure you're using the right type of fibre. Here's a quick article about each type & it's purpose.

Soluble vs. Insoluble Fiber

Soluble fiber dissolves in water. Insoluble fiber does not. To some degree these differences determine how each fiber functions in the body and benefits your health.

Soluble fibers attract water and form a gel, which slows down digestion. Soluble fiber delays the emptying of your stomach and makes you feel full, which helps control weight. Slower stomach emptying may also affect blood sugar levels and have a beneficial effect on insulin sensitivity, which may help control diabetes. Soluble fibers can also help lower LDL ("bad") blood cholesterol by interfering with the absorption of dietary cholesterol.

• Sources of soluble fiber: oatmeal, oat cereal, lentils, apples, oranges, pears, oat bran, strawberries, nuts, flaxseeds, beans, dried peas, blueberries, psyllium, cucumbers, celery, and carrots.

Insoluble fibers are considered gut-healthy fiber because they have a laxative effect and add bulk to the diet, helping prevent constipation. These fibers do not dissolve in water, so they pass through the gastrointestinal tract relatively intact, and speed up the passage of food and waste through your gut. Insoluble fibers are mainly found in whole grains and vegetables.

• Sources of insoluble fiber: whole wheat, whole grains, wheat bran, corn bran, seeds, nuts, barley, couscous, brown rice, bulgur, zucchini, celery, broccoli, cabbage, onions, tomatoes, carrots, cucumbers, green beans, dark leafy vegetables, raisins, grapes, fruit, and root vegetable skins.

(Ref. WebMD)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Psyllium is proven to increase fecal size and moisture, and the most common characteristics of stool following supplementation of psyllium are 'soft, sleek, and easily passable.' Relative to other sources of dietary fiber, psyllium appears to be more effective at forming feces and appears to be one of the few fiber sources not associated with excessive flatulence.

Here's a good link with more info and a review of current scientific research on psyllium http://examine.com/supplements/Psyllium/

·
Registered
14 Posts
Is Citracel considered a Psyllium fiber? Also how much Diarsoothe does it take to prevent diarrhea? I see on the bottle the dose is a tspn, which I tried, but it didn't seem to do much.
No, I don't believe so. If you go to your local supplement store or health food shop, you should be able to find some psyllium fiber. 1 tsp gives about 5 g of fiber. You can mix it with liquid or in something like oatmeal.

Do you know what your daily average of fiber intake is from food?

·
Registered
425 Posts
No, I don't believe so. If you go to your local supplement store or health food shop, you should be able to find some psyllium fiber. 1 tsp gives about 5 g of fiber. You can mix it with liquid or in something like oatmeal.

Do you know what your daily average of fiber intake is from food?
Really? A REGISTERED DIETITIAN and you are not sure whether Citrucel is Psyllium?

Citrucel Is NOT psyllium. It is methylcellulose.

Methinks someone is pumping a website under the guise of "helping" us.

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
Citracel can help too. Many people prefer it as it claims it doesn't cause any excess gas. (And that has been my experience with it...no excess gas)

Here is some info: http://www.citrucel.com/Ch1_default.aspx

Reactions: Colt

·
Registered
19 Posts
Don't use Psyllium.. Like pretty much all fibre supplements your gut becomes tolerant and needs more over time. Plus with me, it inflamed my gut and caused no end of other problems. I used it properly for 6 months steady.. What a terrible supplement! Just eat real food with real fibre.. its better. With IBS-D it's better not to eat too much though, just a few bananas a day is enough really!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a small query about the isabgol, I would appreciate if anyone can help me.

Can't i use it after having lunch ? People have suggested me that you should take these kind of stuff right after you take a heavy meal. And mostly i eat heavy food during the lunch,

and i read on a few sites that it should either be taken during morning or at night.

I don't understand why one can't use isabgol during the day (As not mentioned in the source below)

Just one link i could find about Isabgol dosage procedure, help me with this!

Here : http://www.healthy-drinks.net/isabgol-husk-psyllium-benefits-how-to-use-side-effects/

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.