Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have had C based IBS for about 2 years now. I often don't go at all for a week-10 days and even when i do go, it is incredibly unsatisfactory - no relief whatsoever. ANYWAY...I also have terrible bloating after anything and everything i eat - at the end of EVERY DAY i look about 6 months pregnant. After doing lots of research and after recommendation from the health shop, I am on day two of trying Psyllium Husk. They are in capsule form. I am taking 2, 3 times a day, around half an hour before each meal HOWEVER, i am now feeling INCREDIBLY bloated (looking about 7-8 months pregnant now). I am drinking 2 litres + of water a day as recommended but I am just worried that this bloating isnt going to go away. I have read that this can be a side effect of psyllium, i was just hoping it wouldnt happen to me. Has anyone else had this with psyllium? does it pass? Are there any bloat free alternatives?If it's going to be a long term thing i will stop taking them...Very frustrated, thanks in advance x

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Citrucel usually isn't fermented the way psyllium is, it may be worth seeing if it helps.You could try taking simethicone (Gas-X) with the psyllium doses (may want to try with each meal for a few days, it takes awhile for it to get to the colon as it has to go through the GI tract) or see if probiotics help you tolerate the psyllium better.Some people find digestive enzymes with pancreatin in them help with the post eating bloat.

·
Registered
712 Posts
For soluble fibre, my Gastro Dept no longer prescribes psyllium husks as they as gas & bloating is a common side effect.If you require a natural fibre supplement without side effects Normafibe (Sterculia granules) will do the job.I have a large packet of Psyllium husks & no longer touch the stuff.Normafibe will get you moving in no time, without bloating .

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.