Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If psyllium is considered a bulk-forming laxative, is there any risk of reliance if used over a period of 6-8 weeks?

·
Registered
45 Posts
A good nutritional program stimulates proper elimination that is necessary for the digestive system to make use of the foods weeat and help increase vitamin and nutrient absorption. If the body is allowed to accumulate toxins, chemicals, and excessivewaste products, the toxins can back up into the body and can cause headaches, loss of energy, fatigue and aches and pains.Fiber as part of a good health regimen has the ability to help alleviate these symptoms and also help combat more severe healthproblems brought on by years of improper elimination. A daily fiber intake of at least 25 grams is recommended for good health, but on average people consume only 10 to 15 grams.Adequate fiber is important for normal regularity. It also helps improve transit time, which is important in limiting the time wastematerial spends in the body. Psyllium husks also provide the benefits of soluble fiber. What is Psyllium? Psyllium is a member of the plant family Plantaginaceae, and is not related to wheat. There are severalspecies of psyllium, but the seed husks from Plantago ovata, also known as blonde psyllium, have the best quality and highestfiber content. How Do Psyllium Husks Work? Psyllium husks are pure dietary fiber, composed mostly of hemicellulose. They are notdigested in the small intestine, but are partially broken down in the colon, where they act as a food source for friendly flora.Mostly, they act as a sponge in the intestinal tract, swelling as they absorb water and waste material in the bowels. This forms asoft, bulky mass that passes through the colon more quickly (keeping potentially toxic waste from staying in the colon) andevacuates more smoothly and easily. Some experts say that a "healthy" stool should float in the toilet bowl rather than sinking;psyllium husks certainly help with that. How Do I Take Psyllium Husks? For ongoing use, it is best to take Psyllium Husks once or twice a day. Take them 1/2hour before or at least 1 hour after meals. Stir the powdered or whole Psyllium Husks into a glass of water or juice and drinkimmediately. Make sure to drink at least 8 ounces of liquid with each serving. It is also important to drink a full glass of liquidwhen taking the capsules. Psyllium Husks can also be incorporated into soups, sauces or smoothies. Remember that they willthicken whatever they are added to, so use plenty of liquid. How Much Fiber Do They Have?As a pure dietary fiber, the husks have only trace amounts of calories, vitamins, minerals, and no fat. Their nutritional value liesin the numerous benefits of dietary fiber listed above. The dietary fiber content quality Psyllium products is:psyllium Husks, powder: 4 grams fiber per servingPsyllium Husks, whole: 4 grams fiber per servingPsyllium Husks, capsules: 2 grams fiber per servingAre Psyllium Husks Safe?Psyllium Husks are very safe, and are used by millions of people each year throughout the world. Unlike some laxatives,psyllium husks are not habit forming, and can be taken every day. Which Form of Psyllium Husks Should I Take?Psyllium Husks powder provides maximum intestinal bulking and waste removal activity. Some people prefer whole PsylliumHusks since they don't gel as quickly in liquid. They are also not as concentrated in activity as the powder. The Psyllium Huskscapsules are perfect for traveling or taking at the office. Whichever form you choose, take Psyllium Husks every day and enjoythe health benefits of this wonderful dietary fiber.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, amazing stuff! How do you know all this? I have been taking psyllium (with plenty of water) for about a week on the advice of a nutritionist and was a little concerned that it might be habit-forming and impair bowel motility. Let's just say that I have noticed an amazing difference in stool quality (and quantity) in just a few days and also have noticed that they float (they never did before). Any idea why the experts you cited think that floating stools are a good sign?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Floating stools mean the stool has a high content of Methane in it causing it to float on the water.I surf the net alot and read as much as I can about Everything. That's where I got the info about the Psyllium.

·
Registered
45 Posts
People who make methane do not necessarily pass more gas or have unique symptoms. A person who produces methane willhave stools that consistently float in water. Research has not shown why some people produce methane and others do not.Foods that produce gas in one person may not cause gas in another.The url for this is : www.healthwealthsolutions.com

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
This is actually a medical myth. Floating stools are NOT related to fat malabsorption. Only gas in the stool (primarily methane) can cause them to float.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Barney: My brother-in-law has been using metamucil daily for over 30 years and he basically could not eliminate without it. He had a highly sedentary job and thats what caused his constipation originally. He does not have IBS and is retired. When he travels or is at home he also has to drink prune juice daily. Personally, I enjoy the apple crisp cookies (metamucil) I can't seem to take the liquid stuff. I also like romaine lettuce, belgian endive and mung bean sprouts steamed and find that very effective. Daily in the morning I have organic honey in my coffee with cream (since I no longer tolerate milk) and that acts as a cathartic also. I also eat rye wafers (no fat wasa or ryvita) in the afternoon--and they seem to promote peristalsis and a bm the next day first thing in the am or sometimes sooner. Lots or dechlorinated water,peeled,thinly sliced apples and pears help me a lot also. Hope that helps, belle
[This message has been edited by belfor (edited 02-14-99).]

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Everyone, Thanks to you for all the information and tips, it is very helpful. I have tried Metamucil and another psyllium brand before but without the success of the type which this nutritionist recommended (which is more expensive). It IS worth the extra money to me. This brand contains seed husks which seem to make the gel much more effective and seem to remove more of the toxic material built up in the intestine. What a good feeling to have a normal movement after almost 8 months!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi Everyone,This is a little embarrassing but here it goes, everytime I've eaten psyllium for a period of time (which my doctor recommended for me years ago) I've ended up pooping myself. For some reason I CANNOT eat it at all. It is the only thing that has that severe affect on me. I personally wouldn't recommend it to someone with IBS, but my reaction may be isolated.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have tried EVERYTHING to no avail...That is until I tried just Plain Psyllium after having colonics done. I have been taking it for over 2 months and in the main it has really helped rid me of Diahhroea by bulking up the stool. Although I still go about 5-10 times a day!You do have to persevere and start with very small quantities and build up slow else it would cause pant pooping in 'D' folk I would say.Worth a good go though I'd say, even you Terry if you were to start VERY slowly with it!Nu

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
Pale and bulky stools usually is a sign of fat malasbsorption, which could a symptom in Crohns, although it is usually more associated with celiac disease.The floating part is related to gas and not to fat malabsorption.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
It is the mucous in your stool that indicates malabsorption. So if you are losing weight and passing mucous, then you are not getting any nutrients into your system and should go to the doctor asap.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Great posting Birdy.I bought some psyllium once at health food store but there were no directions on how to use them.I was too young and silly to ask.love Pattee

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Barney-I read your posts very carefully but can't find the name of the Psyllium product you are using. It sounds as though it is more dependable than Metamucil, which is OK but could be better. Please share its name and where I can find it. Thanks. tmo

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Sure, it is a Canadian brand called INNO-VITE. I'm not sure whether it might have another name in the U.S. The powder is made from plantago ovata and contains both the husks and SEEDS (and no bug parts :)!). If you try it, be sure to drink plenty of water. One other good thing which I have found about it is that, for me, it doesn't seem to cause the bloating I have experienced with other psyllium products. I hope that you have the same success with it which I have had.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.