Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had an accident in public today. I'd been constipated for a week or so and finally this morning after a cup of coffee, I went to the bathroom but couldn't make it to a toilet. Luckily no one was around in the building but I feel just awful and embarrassed. I had to call in sick to work and I still feel terrible about this. I am not sure if this is IBS but I have had close call throughout my life-never actually didn't make it to the restroom though. Has this ever happened to you or anyone you know? --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
meegan, it has happened to a lot of IBSers. It is an awful feeling and I am sorry to hear it happened to you. Its good no one was around.Your not alone in this happening. Try not to let it get you to down, as humilating an experience it can be for someone.Its sounds like a rare event from the constipation letting lose. Hopefully it won't happen again to you.

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
meegan, it has happened to a lot of IBSers. It is an awful feeling and I am sorry to hear it happened to you. Its good no one was around.Your not alone in this happening. Try not to let it get you to down, as humilating an experience it can be for someone.Its sounds like a rare event from the constipation letting lose. Hopefully it won't happen again to you.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Hi Megan. Please don't stress, it's happened to the best of us. My accident was at work, and luckily (maybe...) for me, only one other work mate saw it, and he was so understanding. I raced home, and stayed there the rest of the day.
That was years ago now, and I thank god that I work from home now. I still get all red in the face when I think about it!
You'll be fine, and I'm sure other people will be telling you their mishaps too!
Hooroo

·
Registered
170 Posts
Hi Megan. Please don't stress, it's happened to the best of us. My accident was at work, and luckily (maybe...) for me, only one other work mate saw it, and he was so understanding. I raced home, and stayed there the rest of the day.
That was years ago now, and I thank god that I work from home now. I still get all red in the face when I think about it!
You'll be fine, and I'm sure other people will be telling you their mishaps too!
Hooroo

·
Registered
46 Posts
Oh, yes! This has happened to me before, too. And, it is so humiliating! I was eating lunch about 7 years ago downstairs in the cafeteria with my co-workers when all of a sudden, I felt the urge to go. I excused myself and quickly walked to the ladies room. It's very difficult to walk quickly and hold it all in while others are walking past you. I must have looked like a very scared duck! Anyway, I was about 10 feet from the bathroom door when it just came out. I was so upset. I ran up four flights of stairs (using the staircase way in the back of the building) to get my purse and jacket. I tied the jacket around my waist and took the same set of stairs out to the parking lot. I ran all the way to my car. When I got there, I burst into tears. I drove home and called one of the co-workers to tell her I "got sick" and would just stay home for the rest of the day. She said everyone was wondering what happened to me.This is when I finally called a doctor to look into the problem. That episode still haunts me. I've had close calls since then, but have always made it just in time. But, I'm not sure I'll ever get over the "accident".I'm so sorry about what happened to you. But, hopefully, you'll derive some comfort in knowing you're not alone.MM

·
Registered
46 Posts
Oh, yes! This has happened to me before, too. And, it is so humiliating! I was eating lunch about 7 years ago downstairs in the cafeteria with my co-workers when all of a sudden, I felt the urge to go. I excused myself and quickly walked to the ladies room. It's very difficult to walk quickly and hold it all in while others are walking past you. I must have looked like a very scared duck! Anyway, I was about 10 feet from the bathroom door when it just came out. I was so upset. I ran up four flights of stairs (using the staircase way in the back of the building) to get my purse and jacket. I tied the jacket around my waist and took the same set of stairs out to the parking lot. I ran all the way to my car. When I got there, I burst into tears. I drove home and called one of the co-workers to tell her I "got sick" and would just stay home for the rest of the day. She said everyone was wondering what happened to me.This is when I finally called a doctor to look into the problem. That episode still haunts me. I've had close calls since then, but have always made it just in time. But, I'm not sure I'll ever get over the "accident".I'm so sorry about what happened to you. But, hopefully, you'll derive some comfort in knowing you're not alone.MM

·
Registered
5 Posts
I know exactly how you feel, I've had the ACCIDENT myself, a few close calls too , I was so totally embarrassed. Now I've come to except that these things just happen, and I always pinpoint the washrooms upon entering a building
Don't feel bad...we are all in the same boat dear. Take care

·
Registered
5 Posts
I know exactly how you feel, I've had the ACCIDENT myself, a few close calls too , I was so totally embarrassed. Now I've come to except that these things just happen, and I always pinpoint the washrooms upon entering a building
Don't feel bad...we are all in the same boat dear. Take care

·
Registered
10 Posts
Megan, This has happened several times to me.I now how embrassing it can be. Now when ever I go somewhere the first time I do is find the bathroom. After this happening at working in front of a co-worker I started to talk to others at work and found a lot of support. Now they now when I rush off I'm having problems and usually someone comes after a few minutes to see if I'm okay and if I need a new pair of scrubs (I'm a nurse). It has also happened in front of my 15 year old daughter who at first was embrassed but has been very sympathic. I'm starting to get somewhat better control with my medications. Now I only have a accident everyone once in a while (maybe once a month) but that is better then twice a week!! Keep your chin up and find a few friends that you can talk to about it. It just might help

·
Registered
10 Posts
Megan, This has happened several times to me.I now how embrassing it can be. Now when ever I go somewhere the first time I do is find the bathroom. After this happening at working in front of a co-worker I started to talk to others at work and found a lot of support. Now they now when I rush off I'm having problems and usually someone comes after a few minutes to see if I'm okay and if I need a new pair of scrubs (I'm a nurse). It has also happened in front of my 15 year old daughter who at first was embrassed but has been very sympathic. I'm starting to get somewhat better control with my medications. Now I only have a accident everyone once in a while (maybe once a month) but that is better then twice a week!! Keep your chin up and find a few friends that you can talk to about it. It just might help

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.