Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I went to the Doc yesterday and he said they was waiting on the results from my catscan that I had done without any dye, I just had to drink some nasty milk stuff, and he said that they are ordering me to have another catscan done with the dye. He then had me lay back and was feeling of my stomach and he stopped and got a weird look on his face, he then said he could feel my aorata pulsing and he left and came back and said he talked with his staff and they said that it was normal to feel that. I'm 20 yrs old about 5 ft 11 inches tall and about 160lbs. He said after the catscan with the dye we would be able to tell if everything with that was alright but I probably wont be able to get into there to have that done for at least another month. He was a really young Doc, Im going to a charity clinic and see different Doc's everytime. I'm going to have an ultrasound of my stomach done in two days but I'm not even sure if he knew about that. Now when I lay flat on my back and I can put the remote on my stomach and it will go up and down from the pulsing in my stomach, and It can easily be felt. I'm still having stomach pain, and sometimes back pain with it, and for the past two days I haven't had an appetite at all. I have to force my self to eat a can of soup and Im usually hungry ALL the time. I dont know what to do! Someone please help me out to tell me what you think is going on. I'm going to post more info of my symptoms and everything right under this. Thank you soooo much. God Bless

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I’m a 20 yr old male. About 10 months ago, when I was lost and didn’t know the Lord Jesus Christ, I was with a friend and he convinced me to smoke some marijuana with him. I took a few hits, and I had smoked it before and it didn’t do anything, but this time I started to worry about things and panic and I could feel my heart beating really fast so I drove to the hospital and the more I worried about it the faster it went. When I got in the hospital it was 165 bpm, they injected cardizem in me through an iv and it made it go up more so they injected something else to try and bring it down but it just eventually came down on its own, after about an hour. I went home that night, and then at work I started having some frequent chest pain in my upper left chest, and it would come with shortness of breath. About a month later I started having severe stomach pains in the center of my stomach, and I’m currently still having that, the doctor did a stomach x-ray, blood work, and gall bladder ultra sound but still found nothing, I constantly belch a lot, have stomach cramps where it feels like gas is stuck in my stomach, and it makes gurgling noises all the time. I also often notice some white mucous when I have a bowel movement. I’m currently taking prilosec but its not working that well. My chest pain has recently started to come back, and I notice that with little excersation my heart will start to beat fast and I start having chest pain. It doesn’t take much to bring my heart rate up, just walking up one flight of stairs and I’ll be out of breath and my heart will be going fast and pounding. Most of the time it’s a dull constant pain in the left upper part of my chest and sometimes it will be a quick, sharp, stabbing pain that last only a few seconds. Sometimes when I feel my pulse in my neck it will seem like its skipping a beat or having a beat directly after another beat, like rapid, I guess that is called palpilations.I had an ekg, and a chest x-ray and they said everything looks good on that. I’m always worried about it and the pain is an everyday thing. It’s hard to go to work with it because the pain is always there. I don’t know what to do. I also have facial flushing a lot, my face will get real red and hot, and my ears also, it will look as if I have been outside all day in the sun with glasses on because around my eyes will be white, but my neck and face and ears will be red and feel really hot. I noticed carcinoid syndrome has some of these symptoms and I’m scared that it could be that but I don’t know. I know God will give me my healing. I’m just curious to if you have any suggestions. Thank you very much and may God bless. I just had a holter monitor, and a stress test done, waiting on the results. Don’t think anything is wrong with my heart though. I used to drink heavily, and when I started having the stomach problems I haven’t drank since then and since then I’ve lost 20 lbs, not intentionally, I don’t know if it had to do with drinking or the stomach problems. I don’t drink at all anymore because I’m a changed person and saved by the blood of Jesus and delivered and when I did drink with it, it seemed like it would hurt it more. I constantly belch all the time, and it seems like it hurts me on my right side more than any where else, I’ve had an 24 hr urine for 5-hiaa to see if it was carcinoid syndrome but my Doc said the tests came back good. I also had echocardiogram,stress test,and holter monitor on my heart, they came back FINE! Thank Jesus!! I think I’ve noticed my skin getting a little bit lighter like a yellowish tint, but my girlfriend said that I’m just freaking my self out and it’s the same color its always been, but I beg to differ. Two days ago I ate and about 5 mins after I got done I had to use the bathroom, my stomach started hurting me REALLY bad and I noticed my stool was a real light color, clay, pale looking. My stomach hurt me for about 30 mins after and finally went away. I’ve had normal color stools since then, but when I use the bathroom is only small amounts of stool, all broken up and not formed together. I don’t know what to do anymore, I’m always in pain from whatever is causing this and I cant have a normal life. Someone PLEASE help

·
Registered
408 Posts
As far as I know, the abdominal pulse is *quite* common in slender people. I have always had a heckuva one, long before IBS. Given all the normal tests, you can probably relax on that count!A lot of the symptoms you are describing are similar to ones I have with anxiety/panic attacks: flushing, heart beating apparently harder or faster [when I've taken it it's not really that fast, it just feels that way!] on mild exertion [like stairs--sometimes this will happen with me and sometimes not]. The first hospital visit you had sounded like a full-blown panic attack, where the heart really is faster. Chest pain, shortness of breath and flushing can all be symptoms.It's possible to become 'sympathetically overactivated' from all the worry--or, to put it simply, the anxiety generates more anxiety. A lot of people on this list have stomach pain. One thing you might want to be checked for is acid reflux. And the light stool, they've done a check of your gallbladder, you say. HIDAscan or something else? [I read kinda fast]Yellowish stools are simply a sign of fast transit. Small pieces of stool are also quite common. Normal excretion of bile naturally turns stools yellow, then greenish, then brown, depending on how fast they move through your colon.You might want to do some searches on this site for acid reflux, panic attacks, and anxiety. You might benefit from breathing techniques or anxiety meds if it is that. There are so many mysterious-seeming symptoms with this, and so many of them seem to come from 'out of the blue,' it's normal and natural for people to respond with worry. But it can really help to find that others share the same problems, and/or from medical tests [necessary] or reading [helpful] that it's not anythign worse than the nasty IBS. Might try a search on pain, too.Good luck to you--you are understood here.

·
Registered
557 Posts
nice one, i have that pulse thing too, youve made me feel batter now youve said its common in slender people, lol ive been feeling podgy :(its funny to watch i think, its not caused me any problems though, i thought everyone had it to be honest

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
quote: Pulsating feeling in stomach!
The description above is long and detailed, but I seemed to have missed what it had to with the statement above. Seeing a "pulse" isn't the same as feeling one. Feeling one is not normal.
quote:Yellowish stools are simply a sign of fast transit
Yellowish stools may mean that the bile has not been processed by bacteria, but it tells nothing about transit in the gut.
quote:There are so many mysterious-seeming symptoms with this
With what? IBS certainly doesn't have any.

·
Registered
408 Posts
quote:quote:Seeing a "pulse" isn't the same as feeling one. Feeling one is not normal.quote:Yellowish stools are simply a sign of fast transit Yellowish stools may mean that the bile has not been processed by bacteria, but it tells nothing about transit in the gut.quote:There are so many mysterious-seeming symptoms with this With what? IBS certainly doesn't have any.
1. Feeling a pulse is not normal, but there are several conditions in which a person becomes hypersensitized and hyperaware of their pulse. If you don't believe me, ask any number of doctors. [I went through med school but did not take boards.]And, let's define "feeling." Is that, feeling internally, without pressing a hand on the area? If so that relates to the above.What I believe the original poster was describing was the doctor pressing down on that area. In that case, feeling a pulse there would be quite normal. So I fail to see your point on this one. 2. You're quite right. Yellow is lack of processing. That can be *because* of fast transit, or for any other reason. Thanks for the correction.3. Teh last one was a joke, right? :) Panic attacks *are* common in conjunction with IBS. Those can be strange, mysterious, frightening, feel like heart attacks. Gut pain and referred gut pain can be mysterious and frightening, especially if it's a kind you've never had before. Dizziness *can* be a part of IBS, for a variety of reasons. No, these things aren't Rome Criteria; are they frequently associated? The answer to that would be yes. And distention is definitely part of IBS in many cases. That can be upsetting too. It can even be bad enough to prevent getting a full breath.

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
quote:but there are several conditions in which a person becomes hypersensitized and hyperaware of their pulse. ]
Name one.
quote:And, let's define "feeling." Is that, feeling internally, without pressing a hand on the area?
Yes.
quote:3. Panic attacks *are* common in conjunction with IBS. Those can be strange, mysterious, frightening, feel like heart attacks. Gut pain and referred gut pain can be mysterious
That's mysterious? Mysterious would be something that's inconsistent with normal human experience, like blue diarrhea, seeing your intestines gyrate on the surface of your abdomen, or pain that darts around your abdomen like the hours of a clock according to the time of day. (I just made that up.)

·
Registered
408 Posts
We have a different definition of 'mysterious.' Perhaps I should elaborate. A feeling that has never happened to you before, in your experience; that isn't the way your body usually responds; that raises concerns for those reasons. "mysterious" may not have been a good choice of words on my part. But for the things *you* describe, I'd choose "outlandish," :) not 'mysterious.' :)On question #1: I'm going to reply like you do. Go ask a psychiatrist, psychologist, or M.D., since if I answer you, we will probably just keep going round and round. I'm not going to take the bait. "Go look it up," as they always said to us on rounds. I appreciate your helpfulness sincerely, sometimes, Flux, but you would be even more helpful if you weren't so terse and didn't just give the negative but the positive and some explanations instead of statements. Sometimes you do, but mostly it isn't your style. Be that as it may, I still appreciate some things you have posted.

·
Registered
136 Posts
cookienkikin,I have had those experiences too that you detailed in your explanation. Marijuana sets off extreme worries in the brain and causes one to feel overwhelmed with anxiety or paranoia. Yes I have tried it, and all it did was open my mind to what anxiety can really do. Some people handle it quite well, and some like us cant and thats why its illegal in the U.S.

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
quote:but there are several conditions in which a person becomes hypersensitized and hyperaware of their pulse. ]
Actually, there are no such conditions because it is physically impossible to sense these things. The pulse has no net output that could be directly sensed by the senses adjacent to the pulse, so making them hypersensitive wouldn't make any difference.

·
Banned
10 Posts
What rot! Of course you can be aware of your own pulse. Anyone who has been tense enough, anxious enough or stressed enough, however you want to describe it, with or without the added extra of high blood pressure, can certainly vouch to feeling a throbbing in the temples, or even the throat, and I daresay the abdomen is not out of the question too; that this throbbing corresponds to the pulse is easily ascertained by feeling with the paired fingers of one hand.At least, this is so for those of us that have a pulse.....

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
quote:Anyone who has been tense enough, anxious enough or stressed enough, however you want to describe it, with or without the added extra of high blood pressure, can certainly vouch to feeling a throbbing in the temples, or even the throat,
That's not occuring without some massive increase in cardiac output. Once the output exceeds a certain threshold, the tissues have exceed their ability to being stretched and they run up against resistance. That will induce vibrations in the tissues that can be sensed by a normal nervous system. But that level of cardiac output isn't normal.

·
Registered
408 Posts
quote:quote:Anyone who has been tense enough, anxious enough or stressed enough, however you want to describe it, with or without the added extra of high blood pressure, can certainly vouch to feeling a throbbing in the temples, or even the throat, That's not occuring without some massive increase in cardiac output. Once the output exceeds a certain threshold, the tissues have exceed their ability to being stretched and they run up against resistance. That will induce vibrations in the tissues that can be sensed by a normal nervous system. But that level of cardiac output isn't normal.
Bunk again. I got this commonly when trying to go to sleep. It was what I call 'diesel heart' and I could defnitely feel the pulse, in different places [usually head/neck/just below ribs or behind sternum]. Yet the pulse actually was 60 or under [the sensation of feeling it *directly corresponded to my pulse when I took it; sometimes I could even accurately count it that way] and my blood pressure runs about 110/70 MAX, and often as low as 90/49. And yes, just because it was weird I did check it; I am professionally trained to do so and also have a cuff. Queer little experience.I am far, far from the only person who gets this. In clinics we saw scads of people who got this, on many different services. [Yes, this was in med school on rotations]Lots of other people *do* get this too. So, to respond in *your* typical pattern, :) "nonsense". Period. [With no further evidence of why I say it. Good job you were never a med student; then if you say something you better darn well have backup instead of *just* negating!]Note: I am not a doctor either. I did not take boards, but went into medical artificial intelligence and then medical research/writing.

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
quote:Bunk again.
This bunk has a name: palpitations.
quote:I got this commonly when trying to go to sleep. It was what I call 'diesel heart' and I could defnitely feel the pulse, in different places [usually head/neck/just below ribs or behind sternum]. Yet the pulse actually was 60 or under [the sensation of feeling it *directly corresponded to my pulse when I took it; sometimes I could even accurately count it that way] and my blood pressure runs about 110/70 MAX, and often as low as 90/49.
Let's assume for the moment your report is accurate, at least for a one time event. Pulse rate is just a frequency, so whether it's 10 or 100 won't make a difference.Just a blood pressure reading taken anywhere won't help because the effect is almost certainly very localized. You'd have to probably rig a special blood pressure gauge or measure it by some other means to get it that the very spot.If you hit the spot, I can only guess as to what you get. The difference between systolic and diastolic would be very small, nearly the same numbers. That is to say, blood flow is nearly completely blocked so when it is pumped during systole it slams through the occulsion and that is what you are feeling. The only situation where this occurs naturally is called a bruit. Now what you are saying is that you are experiencing bruits all over the place. I suppose that is possible at least for a very short periods of time; otherwise, you'd start experiencing ischemia and fainting if it were your in your carotids.
quote:I am far, far from the only person who gets this. In clinics we saw scads of people who got this, on many different services. [Yes, this was in med school on rotations]
What I got to wonder about is how you'd know this is occuring in all these people? There are only 914 articles with term bruit in the worldwide literature in the last thirty-five years or so. Perhaps it goes under another name.

·
Banned
10 Posts
Based on flux's interpretation, every nurse & doctor, throughout the whole history of mankind, who has ever taken a pulse with paired fingers on the wrist, has been lying.Now this is a difficult one, folks. Think carefully. Do you believe:a) every doctor & nurse throughout the history of mankind;or,
flux.Shall we take a vote?

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
quote:, who has ever taken a pulse with paired fingers on the wrist.
You don't need two fingers; one will do.

·
Registered
408 Posts
quote:This bunk has a name: palpitations.
You just answered your own question of "name one." Yes, many doctors use "palpitations" not only to refer to a fast or irregular heartbeat, but also to refer to a conscious awareness of the heartbeat. So, you just either contradicted or answered your own challenge, "name one condition where it's possible to [internally] feel the pulse."Thanks. :)In medical school they taught us to look for horses, not zebras. It would seem you have a real interest in the outlandish. Concocting the following:
quote:Just a blood pressure reading taken anywhere won't help because the effect is almost certainly very localized. You'd have to probably rig a special blood pressure gauge or measure it by some other means to get it that the very spot.If you hit the spot, I can only guess as to what you get. The difference between systolic and diastolic would be very small, nearly the same numbers. That is to say, blood flow is nearly completely blocked so when it is pumped during systole it slams through the occulsion and that is what you are feeling. The only situation where this occurs naturally is called a bruit. Now what you are saying is that you are experiencing bruits all over the place. I suppose that is possible at least for a very short periods of time; otherwise, you'd start experiencing ischemia and fainting if it were your in your carotids.
It's absolutely not necessary to check blood pressure in any specific spot or by any specific means. I was responding to your allegation that feeling the pulse could *only* occur if there were significant cardiac output/volume/whatever [probably we, and you especially, should have a look at your own back posts!]. In other words, times of high adrenalin, for instance, like narrowly avoiding a car wreck, are definitely *not* the only times one can be aware of one's pulse. That was the refutal.All this nonsense about bruits is outlandish. And unnecessary. As above, you answered your own question: awareness of the sensation of a pulse *commonly* occurs with 'palpitations.' >What I got to wonder about is how you'd know this is occuring in all these people? There are only 914 articles with term bruit in the worldwide literature in the last thirty-five years or so. Perhaps it goes under another name.[/quote]Yeah, that name is palpitations, loosely applied. This bruit stuff is a straw man argument. The reason we knew is that patients would report it, sometimes on rounds, sometimes in office visits, and it could be confirmed that what they were feeling sensory-wise without checking the pulse with however many fingers corresponded to the pulse that anyone--they, the nurses, we--could check with our finger. So it does exist, and it can exist without huge cardiac output, and it is loosely called palpitations. End of matter.

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
quote:You just answered your own question of "name one."Yes, many doctors use "palpitations" not only to refer to a fast or irregular heartbeat, but also to refer to a conscious awareness of the heartbeat.
You indicated there were conditions where a person could become hypersensitive to their own heartbeat. But palpitations is not that. It's the heartbeat that is somehow changing character for a person to become aware of it.
quote:it can exist without huge cardiac output, and it is loosely called palpitations
I'm not sure it can exist without that. There has to be some physical change for it to be detected.
quote:I was responding to your allegation that feeling the pulse could *only* occur if there were significant cardiac output/volume/whatever
You are right about that. I left out bruits.
quote:This bruit stuff is a straw man argument.
That it certainly is not. What you described to us sounded like bruits to me and what I described about how it works is also accurate.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.