Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner

Pushing bowl's because can't finish a bowl movement

4K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  roadevil 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hi all,I'm also new to this forum and I'm seeking any kind of help I can get. I was diagnosed with IBS about 5 years ago and for the first 4 years it wasn't that bad but now it is almost unbearable. I also got diagnosed with Lactose intolerance and I love dairy so food is not my friend anymore.I'm sure you all can relate with not feeling like you have finished when having a bowl movement, I'm like that almost all the time and it is so painful and uncomfortable. Most of the time I get so frustrated that when I can't finish I will force my bowl's to empty and then I'm in even more pain and not just my anal area is sore but also my female area. I know by pushing I'm hurting myself in lots of ways but I get so frustrated feeling this way that I lose it and do it because I need relief. I'm getting afraid of damaging my female area let alone my anal area. I have already found skin tags in my female area that was never there before I began more and more forcing my bowls and of course I have hemroid's which I have lived with for years.How can I find a way to feel empty without forcing my bowl movement's, is there a way?I watch what I eat but know help. Anything I eat, a short time after I will have to find a bathroom quick and I'm almost always the diarrea type. Food is not very appealing anymore.I feel trapped in this body and very depressed alot of the time, this condition is hurting my relationships, work, and just about all activites I enjoy to do in life.Any advice or help would so much be a life saver.ThanksTrapped

See less See more
#2 ·
Incomplete evacuation is a common problem. Sometimes people force things because it feels like there needs to be more come out even when their really isn't.If you strain and strain and strain and nothing comes out I know it is hard but get off the toilet and make your mind very busy with something. Now some people have a pelvic floor problem so you may need to be tested, but that usually is more a constipation thing than diarrhea all the time.The act of eating will make the colon more active. Every meal. No matter what you eat. Eating small frequent meals causes a smaller increase than waiting as long as possible because you just don't want to eat. I can't tell if you have seen a doctor, but you may need an antispasmodic to take before meals to help calm down the post eating thing. Some people use Imodium, but I worry if you can't go when you need to go that could make that worse.Some people do well on low dose antidepressants as they calm down all the inappropriate nerve signals so can stop the meals mean diarrhea and incomplete evacuation sensations.

#3 ·
Hi Kathleen,Thanks for writing, I'm female and 41 years old, I forgot to put that in my first post.As for pushing the bowls, well there is always more bowl coming out when I push, it just never ends but I will try what you suggested. I will just get off the toilet whether there is more to come or not and try to get my mind off of it.I also will try to eat smaller meals more frequent. I have seen my doctor numerous times and like most doctors she is acting like I'm blowing things out of proportion but I'm so not.She gave me a list of foods to stay away from and I have been following it but anything I eat triggers my IBS. She had me on some kind of very expensive IBS pills for awhile but they didn't work for me either.I have tried Imodium but know help there either. I do have some antidepressants from her which I take when I'm feeling down, I have not noticed if they help me with finishing my bowl movement, I don't think so.Anyways, I'm willing to try just about anything to have my life back.So far IBS is winning the daily battle and I really need to change the odds in my favor.Thanks so much and if you or anyone else have any ideas or help, I will be more than happy to listen.roadevil

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.