Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone...Second week of school, and I'm still doing pretty well! (Except I look like four months pregnant with this bloating!) Anyway, in an aural rehab class I'm taking, I was introduced to a survey called the quantified denver scale. It quantifies how much of an impact hearing loss has on an individual, and how much of a handicap it is to them.Reading this scale, I realized that the scale could be modified to talk about IBS. And from taking this myself-- I realized that IBS *is* a handicap!!!!Take this yourself. Answer on a scale from 1 to 5, 1 being "strongly disagree" and 5 being "strongly agree". What is your score? Did you answer 1 or 5 to any question? If so, why?(This isn't for research... just curiosity, as I found this scale helpful.)Regards, Lilymaid---------------------------------------(1) Members of my family are annoyed by my condition.(2) Members of my family sometimes leave me out of activities because of my condition.(3) I am not an "outgoing" person because of my condition.(4) I take less of an interest in things as compared to when I did not have IBS.(5) Other people do not realize how frustrated I get because of my condition.(6) People sometimes avoid me because of my condition.(7) I am not a calm person because of my IBS.(8) I tend to be negative about life in general because of my IBS.(9) I do not socialize as much as I did before my condition developed.(10) Due to my IBS, I do not like to go places with friends.(11) Due to my IBS, I hesitate to meet new people.(12) I do not enjoy my job as much as I did before my condition developed.(13) Other people do not understand what it is like to have IBS.(14) I don't feel comfortable in "non-IBS friendly" situations.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I scored 44-- and I think (1) used to be more of a "5", but after years have gone by, it's more of a "2" now. Lily.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I scored a 33.No fives were chosen at all.A lot of ones because I am very open about my condition, and I have found 100% relief now.

G

·
I scored a 48. I am frustrated by ibs, and the fact that you can't always control the symptoms. Also, I don't think you can truly understand IBS unless you suffer with it yourself. I have explained it to family members and friends, but sometimes I am left out of activities because of it.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Hi Lilymaid & Everyone
Thanks for this very interesting *ibs* related test.score: 52 (proud Canadian, Im not sure how "bad" this interpretation tho Im sure our feelings are justifiable *sniff*)The 5's I marked for myself were under:(3) I am not an "outgoing" person because of my condition. (4) I take less of an interest in things as compared to when I did not have IBS.(9) I do not socialize as much as I did before my condition developed.(13) Other people do not understand what it is like to have IBS.Evidently, the impact of ibs on my life is enormous. Angelkitten, I agree, there is just no way a non-ibser could ever fully understand the implications of this illness. While my family is my greatest support(er), the ibs void remains still.Hope everyone's ibs goes away!! yay!! [This message has been edited by Lisa K (edited 09-09-2000).]

G

·
a 59 for me because I have panic attacks about it and have had some close calls or accidents as all of you guys have. hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
This is a good quiz, lilymaid. I scored 50, so I guess I'm about average for an IBSer. My on'y 5's were questions 8, 9 and 14.

·
Registered
620 Posts
I scored 33 - guess I'm not as bad off as I thought I was. Looking at other people's scores I have a little better perspective -- mine could be a lot worse than it is.

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
I scored a 60. I had a lot of 5's. The ones I can remember are.Not as sociable as I used to be.Negative about life because of IBSMeeting new people.Do not like my job as muchOther peopel do not understand what it is like having IBS------------------"Remember To Stop and Smell the Roses"Rose (C-type)

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Hi Lil, i got a 59,the 5s were because i am so down with all of this,and have missed out on alot with my kids that it really makes me pretty pissed some days,i say why? i watch TV and see other moms <normal ones> and i just wanna bash them one! i say god i wish i could be my old self again,always on the go,always going somewhere.Krissy

G

·
50, but it's been really bad the last few months. There is not a day in the last few months without D except when I eat immodium like candy. I want to be the care-free person I used to be before this started happening daily (it used to be just an annoyance-once every 2-3 weeks).

1 - 20 of 26 Posts