Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been through CT scan, blood, and stool tests this week and of course they could find nothing. I have IBS-C mostly but for the last two weeks I had IBS-D So I went in for DX. I do not think anyone has gave me an official DX of the irritable bowel so I am looking to help myself if possible. I of course have all the standard things they give us for it, hyoscamine, bentyl, lomitil,. My question is that if I took the bentyl regularly would it help the IBS-C or make it worse? I am on 20 mgs of prozac which in 6 wks has done nothing for it so I am so frustrated. I do have hep c and I know this sometimes goes along with the irritable bowel. I am afraid the bentyl would constipate me worse if it relaxes the bowel. I tried probiotics and it gave me the runs. I do not want to try laxatives everyday. Does anyone have good results with bentyl? Or what?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have had IBS for 30 years and have found nothing that will cure the problem. In my early 30's I was sent to Stanford and diagnosed with IBS, The meds prescribed were Donnatal twice a day, Bentyl as needed and Levsin (dissolve under the tongue) when you are having an attack. These meds help but do not stop the attacks.Two years ago I went to a well known Gastro MD who had done some research on IBS and wrote a paper. He found that their is a connection between the brain and intestines that causes the bowel to spasm. Thats why he gave me Donnatal (Belladonna) that is given for epilepsy. (He also said that their are no new meds for this problem)I suggest that you only take the Bentyl when you are having a problem. It seems our problems change from day to day and week to week. For a while I was taking an OTC stool softener everyday along with Donnatal and I went 2 months without a problem. Then my system changed, probably because of diet and my IBS flared up again. So what is the solution?I do know for me these foods cause me problems, nuts, seeds, dairy, tomato sauce, The double fiber bead from Cosco seems to help me. Since I think we need fiber to keep us from constipation. I hope you are doing better, do ask your doctor for Donnatal, it is the only drug that I find really helps.Protocol

·
Registered
168 Posts
I'm an IBS-D myself, but typically you take bentyl a half hour before meals to help with the reaction an IBS body creates when it is presented with food. A lot of times if you take it when your symptoms start, it's already too late. I recommend talking with your doctor to see what plan he wants you to follow, but I would say start taking the bentyl regularly and if it gives you problems, start playing around with the dose - For example, try taking two a day instead of three, etc. But once again, talk to your doctor to double check, as we do not know your complete history here.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.