Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear friends:Hope this post finds you all well, or coping, at least.My doctor started me on Donnatal. Took my first dose this morning. I feel alright, nothing too great. Still have a lot of gas, some pain. No D so far.Will I feel better as time goes by? Or do you know with the first pill?ANY Donnatal feed back is most appreciated.Much love and positive thoughts to all on this BB,mamamia-

·
Registered
303 Posts
Hi!I have been taking Donnatal for about 4 months. I like it, it seems to even out the spasms and cramping. It took about a week or two for it to really kick in for me. My doc also has me take Bentyl in addition to the Donnatal when things get really bad. For me the Bentyl on its own didn't do anything.loon

·
Registered
303 Posts
Hi!I have been taking Donnatal for about 4 months. I like it, it seems to even out the spasms and cramping. It took about a week or two for it to really kick in for me. My doc also has me take Bentyl in addition to the Donnatal when things get really bad. For me the Bentyl on its own didn't do anything.loon

·
Registered
248 Posts
I was on Donnatal when I was 8 years old. It worked very well for me. Then I stopped taking it after a few months and I was still fine. When I was formally diagnosed with IBS, when I was 22, I told my gastro-doc that I was on Donnatal when I was 8, and he said Donnatal works very well for IBS, but it has phenobarbitol in it, which does nothing for IBS, it is just a sedative. He explained to me that docs, before IBS was studied in depth, knew little about it and thought it was a "nervous stomach" and thus believed a sedative was necessary to treat patients with symptoms. He gave me Levbid, which has the same stomach medicine as donnatal, without the phenobarbitol. It works the same as Donnatal for me, but I don't get drowsy as easily on this one. Talk to your doc and ask about Levbid or Levsin. It probably will work very well for you too.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I was on Donnatal when I was 8 years old. It worked very well for me. Then I stopped taking it after a few months and I was still fine. When I was formally diagnosed with IBS, when I was 22, I told my gastro-doc that I was on Donnatal when I was 8, and he said Donnatal works very well for IBS, but it has phenobarbitol in it, which does nothing for IBS, it is just a sedative. He explained to me that docs, before IBS was studied in depth, knew little about it and thought it was a "nervous stomach" and thus believed a sedative was necessary to treat patients with symptoms. He gave me Levbid, which has the same stomach medicine as donnatal, without the phenobarbitol. It works the same as Donnatal for me, but I don't get drowsy as easily on this one. Talk to your doc and ask about Levbid or Levsin. It probably will work very well for you too.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Dear Missbonnie:Thanks for your informative reply. Believe me, I NEED A SEDATIVE!!! I did try Levbid and it does work pretty well. I've been feeling pretty good on the Donnatal. I take 2 per day.My stress level is very high, not from my lifestyle, which I have toned down very much, but from worrying about my health and what I call "performance anxiety," i.e. having a lot to do and feeling like you know what while trying to do it, worrying about "accidents", etc.much love and light to you and all my other friends, mamamia-

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Dear Missbonnie:Thanks for your informative reply. Believe me, I NEED A SEDATIVE!!! I did try Levbid and it does work pretty well. I've been feeling pretty good on the Donnatal. I take 2 per day.My stress level is very high, not from my lifestyle, which I have toned down very much, but from worrying about my health and what I call "performance anxiety," i.e. having a lot to do and feeling like you know what while trying to do it, worrying about "accidents", etc.much love and light to you and all my other friends, mamamia-

·
Registered
303 Posts
mamamia-I like the slight sedative aspect of donnetel also. I think (and maybe it's just in my mind - but it works) that the sedative effect helps me to NOT stress about situations that used to bother me and get my gut rolling. Little things like traffic and stuff...I take 3 a day...loon

·
Registered
303 Posts
mamamia-I like the slight sedative aspect of donnetel also. I think (and maybe it's just in my mind - but it works) that the sedative effect helps me to NOT stress about situations that used to bother me and get my gut rolling. Little things like traffic and stuff...I take 3 a day...loon

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes loon.After years of "accidents" and feeling lousy almost every day, you're always on your last nerve, right? I believe my IBS-D to be 33% physical, 33% food sensitive and 33% psychological. At least now it is. The psychological aspect rears it's ugly head after you've been dealing with this soooooooo long, for me it's been 8 years.Keep the faith!!! mama-

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yes loon.After years of "accidents" and feeling lousy almost every day, you're always on your last nerve, right? I believe my IBS-D to be 33% physical, 33% food sensitive and 33% psychological. At least now it is. The psychological aspect rears it's ugly head after you've been dealing with this soooooooo long, for me it's been 8 years.Keep the faith!!! mama-

·
Registered
190 Posts
A long time ago when I first started having IBS symptoms (at age 13) Donnatal was one of the medicines the doctors tried (I'm 43 now). I remember it working fairly well and the only side effect was a really dry mouth. There are so many different medicines and getting the dose correct takes time. It doesn't help when the symptoms keep changing in their intensity either. I grew up in northern NJ. Maybe it's the water or the chemicals there that causes IBS!! Who really knows?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.