Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody,

I was diagnosed with IBS-C and pelvic floor dysfunction five years ago, I am now 51 years old. This condition truly is a living hell and managing it can impossible at times. I have been taking an herbal laxative for the past five years daily. Initially I tried Linzess and Amitiza and they gave me terrible diarrhea.

My question is has anyone here been taking herbal laxatives daily for a long period of time? If so, how long? have you experiended any long term side effects? Lately, I have been experiencing headaches and dizziness after taking my herbal laxative and it is worrying me. I have trouble sleeping due to the dizziness. Treatment options for IBS-C are limited and the only things I have not tried yet is the prescription prokinetics. I've read several articles that long term use of herbal laxatives can lead to colon cancer, but nothing else has worked for me. The formula I take (Intestinal Movement Formula form Healthforce) has aloe vera latex. Senna is too strong for me and it gives me terrible stomach pain.

I welcome any advice or input. Thank you for taking the time to read my post.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Hi Casius1 -

I've been taking Dr. Schulze's Intestinal Formula # 1 daily for 5 or 6 years now and have not had any side effects from it.

If your headaches and dizziness are real bad you might want to try something else besides Intestinal Movement Formula from Healthforce.

Good luck and keep us posted!

·
Community Manager
13,221 Posts
Hi

i was dx'd with chronic constipation and PFD. you're right--it's totally miserable.

i took dulcolax every day for years. it's not a herbal laxative though. i never had any side effects from it.

i also took senna for quite a while but never had any side effects from that, either.

yes, like Flossy said, you might want to try another laxative if the Intestinal Movement Formula is giving you side effects.

good luck!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for replying to my post Annie and Flossy.

I was going to try Intestinal Formula #1, but the ingredients cayenne pepper and Habanero pepper scare me. I occasionally deal with acid reflux and my rectum is really sensitive (LOL) due to my PFD. I feel like is going to give me massive burning. I am currently dealing with terrible bloating, some acid reflux and symptoms of dyspepsia.

Flossy, how many pills do you take to get a bowel movement from Intestinal Formula? and do you know of any other good herbal laxative brands. There are so many on Amazon, I don't know what else to try. The article where the FDA warns about ingesting Aloe vera/latex as a laxative for long term use and possibly causing cancer has me worried. Then again the FDA says a lot things that are wrong.

Thank you both for your help.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
I currently take two I.F. # 1's per day. You probably don't want to try it though, as you said senna is too strong for you, gives you terrible stomach pain and it has that in it. A lot of herbal/natural laxatives have senna in it, so be aware.

You might want to try Dulcolax like Annie mentioned (generic name: bisacodyl), or you could try Miralax also (it's polyethylene glycol 3350). I have used generic Miralax on and off since my chronic constipation hit me. It's not great but definitely better than nothing.

The worst thing you can do is not take something every day to help you go, IMHO.

BTW, I also take three tablespoons of apple cider vinegar every morning, diluted with water. It's really nasty tasting, but it helps.

Personally I try to eat a diet high in meat and low in fiber. This REALLY helps me. Despite what your doctor may tell you fiber is a menace for a lot of us who have chronic constipation, so it might be something you want to try.

Good luck & keep us posted!

·
Community Manager
13,221 Posts
Flossy is right about the fiber. i found i did much better on a low fiber diet.

and yes, like he said, it's better to talke something every day to help you go. that's what my gastro docs told me.

good luck with everything.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hello everybody,

I was diagnosed with IBS-C and pelvic floor dysfunction five years ago, I am now 51 years old. This condition truly is a living hell and managing it can impossible at times. I have been taking an herbal laxative for the past five years daily. Initially I tried Linzess and Amitiza and they gave me terrible diarrhea.

My question is has anyone here been taking herbal laxatives daily for a long period of time? If so, how long? have you experiended any long term side effects? Lately, I have been experiencing headaches and dizziness after taking my herbal laxative and it is worrying me. I have trouble sleeping due to the dizziness. Treatment options for IBS-C are limited and the only things I have not tried yet is the prescription prokinetics. I've read several articles that long term use of herbal laxatives can lead to colon cancer, but nothing else has worked for me. The formula I take (Intestinal Movement Formula form Healthforce) has aloe vera latex. Senna is too strong for me and it gives me terrible stomach pain.

This is basically the same as Perdiem laxative granules that was taken off the market. People were crying for their mommas when they couldn't get it anymore. It is an excellent product. Agiolax granules-250 grams on Amazon for 21.85 from Germany. Highly recommended if one is to use a stimulant herbal laxative.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hello everybody,

Yes; I've been taking a product called Natural Colon, by Greek Island Labs. It works, I also recently found out; that even natural ingredients can be hard on the gut; like this one I take has Aloe in it; but it does work. I also recommend Heather's tummy fiber; and her posts for IBS issues. You can sign up to be on it. You can even ask questions, and they will get back to you.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts