Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
It is normal for people (and animals--this is one of the ways you find out what a secretive animal eats is to disect the poop) with normal digestion and normal stool consistancy to see bits of undigested food in the feces.When the stools are loose it is easier to see this then when the stools are well formed.For the most part your teeth break stuff up and what you don't chew well enough has no other way of getting broken down. Certain vegetables are particularly well known for this, esp corn.K.------------------I am a scientific researcher primarily in the area of the environment and the impact of environmental factors on human health, I have no ties to the pharmaceutical industry. I have no financial, academic, or any other stake in any commercial, natural, or any other product mentioned by me.My story and what worked for me in greatly easing my IBS: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000015.html

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
It is normal for people (and animals--this is one of the ways you find out what a secretive animal eats is to disect the poop) with normal digestion and normal stool consistancy to see bits of undigested food in the feces.When the stools are loose it is easier to see this then when the stools are well formed.For the most part your teeth break stuff up and what you don't chew well enough has no other way of getting broken down. Certain vegetables are particularly well known for this, esp corn.K.------------------I am a scientific researcher primarily in the area of the environment and the impact of environmental factors on human health, I have no ties to the pharmaceutical industry. I have no financial, academic, or any other stake in any commercial, natural, or any other product mentioned by me.My story and what worked for me in greatly easing my IBS: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000015.html

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Kmottus.I don't eat corn, but I find that all vegetables (especially the green ones!) come out partially digested. I have D on a regular basis, but it only seems to be veggies that I don't digest well.I have another question as well... Many people on here are saying that it's the sugars in pop that give them a problem. I thought it was the carbonation... am I wrong? Or is it just that everyone is different? I can't drink pop, or carbonated drinks. I thought it could be the caffeine since I can't have tea either. To me it seems to be the carbonation though... ?Lindsay

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Kmottus.I don't eat corn, but I find that all vegetables (especially the green ones!) come out partially digested. I have D on a regular basis, but it only seems to be veggies that I don't digest well.I have another question as well... Many people on here are saying that it's the sugars in pop that give them a problem. I thought it was the carbonation... am I wrong? Or is it just that everyone is different? I can't drink pop, or carbonated drinks. I thought it could be the caffeine since I can't have tea either. To me it seems to be the carbonation though... ?Lindsay

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Veggies are particularly hard to digest as the stuff that makes them crunchy tends to be the stuff we don't break down well other than with our teeth. If you pull someone's poop apart usually you can tell what plants they have been eating, if they chew things well you may need a microscope to pick it out, but the study of poop is generally one way of finding out what people and animals eat. They even pull apart fossilized poop to find out what various critters used to eat.With soft-drinks alot depends on the person.Carbonation can be the problem, if you don't get rid of the gas as well as others. (for these people beer and diet drinks are a problem)Fructose can be the problem, if you don't absorb fructose well (this is a genetic type of thing...they just don't have the receptors to pull it out of the GI tract with) For these people anything high in fructose may be problematic, including non-carbonated fruit drinks that are heavily sweetened with high-fructose corn syrup.Caffiene can be the problem. If it stimulates your brain, it also stimulates the nerves that control the GI tract.K.------------------I am a scientific researcher primarily in the area of the environment and the impact of environmental factors on human health, I have no ties to the pharmaceutical industry. I have no financial, academic, or any other stake in any commercial, natural, or any other product mentioned by me.My story and what worked for me in greatly easing my IBS: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000015.html[This message has been edited by kmottus (edited 09-10-2001).]

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Veggies are particularly hard to digest as the stuff that makes them crunchy tends to be the stuff we don't break down well other than with our teeth. If you pull someone's poop apart usually you can tell what plants they have been eating, if they chew things well you may need a microscope to pick it out, but the study of poop is generally one way of finding out what people and animals eat. They even pull apart fossilized poop to find out what various critters used to eat.With soft-drinks alot depends on the person.Carbonation can be the problem, if you don't get rid of the gas as well as others. (for these people beer and diet drinks are a problem)Fructose can be the problem, if you don't absorb fructose well (this is a genetic type of thing...they just don't have the receptors to pull it out of the GI tract with) For these people anything high in fructose may be problematic, including non-carbonated fruit drinks that are heavily sweetened with high-fructose corn syrup.Caffiene can be the problem. If it stimulates your brain, it also stimulates the nerves that control the GI tract.K.------------------I am a scientific researcher primarily in the area of the environment and the impact of environmental factors on human health, I have no ties to the pharmaceutical industry. I have no financial, academic, or any other stake in any commercial, natural, or any other product mentioned by me.My story and what worked for me in greatly easing my IBS: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000015.html[This message has been edited by kmottus (edited 09-10-2001).]

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.