Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this question on the medication forum as well ... would appreciate any help.--------------------------------------------------------------------------------I was just wondering if any of you have any information about the use of Zoloft and Lithium during pregnancy. A family acquaintance is bi-polar, and is on these medications, and has been told she is 9 weeks pregnant. She has been told her condition is to severe to be taken off the medication. Any information would be appreciated.Take careKristy

·
Registered
462 Posts
Well with Lithium i know you have to get your blood tested because too much could be poisin...Zoloft i know you shoudnt be on it during pregnancy but if your symptoms are so severe that the benefits of the drug outweighs the risk you can take it, but a doctor has to monitor you throughout and that your high risk from then on.If a doctor told her to stay on the drugs then it seems like keeping her bipolar under control while pregnant is the right thing to do unless a doctor changes it or tells her otherwise.

·
Registered
8 Posts
This website here has links to information about different medications, including whether they are safe to take during pregnancy: Click Here As cadia has already said, if the benefit outweighs the risk, it's always best to continue with the medication. There is always the possibility of reducing the dose during pregnancy, but that comes with its own risk of relapse. Bipolar disorder can be an extremely volatile illness if not controlled by medication.If she is unsure that her doctor is right, she should seek a 2nd opinion. But it is important to control the bipolar illness so that she can stay well.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.