Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been reading a lot of posts, and I can relate to just about every one of these. I have asked this question a lot to no avail. Is anybody taking medication for their symptoms? I used to have a lot of problems but when my doctor put me on Hyoscyamine and Diphenoxylate, my episodes are far and few between.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hi Floyd,I have IBS-D. All I've ever had to use (when I feel a bad attack coming on) is to use Bentyl (Dicyclomine) and that usually stops the bad cramping. I did try Hyocyamine one time and I found myself feeling nauseas and on the verge of a panic attack. I realize that could have been coming from something else altogether, but I didn't want to take any chances, so stopped. Bentyl works well for me.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hi Floyd,I have IBS-D. All I've ever had to use (when I feel a bad attack coming on) is to use Bentyl (Dicyclomine) and that usually stops the bad cramping. I did try Hyocyamine one time and I found myself feeling nauseas and on the verge of a panic attack. I realize that could have been coming from something else altogether, but I didn't want to take any chances, so stopped. Bentyl works well for me.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Floyd,So, here's the deal. I've had IBS-D for almost 14 years...thus, a cocktail of meds. What works best for me?Levsin,Lomotil,Calcium Supplements,Tranxene(anti-anxiety) and Remeron (anti-depressant). These are taken in varying degrees and how much is consumed is directly correlated to my stress level and any planned (or unexpected) event that may be stressful.However, it goes without saying, I add a generous amount of Mike's Self-Hypno Tapes as needed and prayer is just "a given".Did that MORE than answer your question? Hope so.Take heart..I have it on good authority there is no IBS is Heaven!!Godspeed.Good Luck !!

·
Registered
140 Posts
Floyd,So, here's the deal. I've had IBS-D for almost 14 years...thus, a cocktail of meds. What works best for me?Levsin,Lomotil,Calcium Supplements,Tranxene(anti-anxiety) and Remeron (anti-depressant). These are taken in varying degrees and how much is consumed is directly correlated to my stress level and any planned (or unexpected) event that may be stressful.However, it goes without saying, I add a generous amount of Mike's Self-Hypno Tapes as needed and prayer is just "a given".Did that MORE than answer your question? Hope so.Take heart..I have it on good authority there is no IBS is Heaven!!Godspeed.Good Luck !!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The reason I ask is, I wonder if my medications will become less effective as time goes on. I really need my medications to live life like other (Normal) people. Diphenoxylate�s label reads; �Warning may become habit forming�. I don�t mind having to live on drugs, as long as they work, or as long as I don�t turn into a junky. I still wonder what it is about us, that we have this syndrome? What is the common thread? Stress? That�s my problem but why we all feel the same feelings. There has to be a chemical that the human body produces, that protect/ hurts us��I have found that I spend a lot of time holding my stomach in all the time. To the point that I didn�t even know I was doing it. Now I force my stomach out, and exhale a lot. I don�t know��..

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The reason I ask is, I wonder if my medications will become less effective as time goes on. I really need my medications to live life like other (Normal) people. Diphenoxylate�s label reads; �Warning may become habit forming�. I don�t mind having to live on drugs, as long as they work, or as long as I don�t turn into a junky. I still wonder what it is about us, that we have this syndrome? What is the common thread? Stress? That�s my problem but why we all feel the same feelings. There has to be a chemical that the human body produces, that protect/ hurts us��I have found that I spend a lot of time holding my stomach in all the time. To the point that I didn�t even know I was doing it. Now I force my stomach out, and exhale a lot. I don�t know��..

·
Registered
140 Posts
Floyd,The diphenoxylate, otherwise known as Lomotil, can be habit forming in that it contains opium; or, at least that's what the doc and pharmacist said. Yes, you can also build a tolerance to it. It works so well, I had started taking it daily, "just in case". Well, that was 14 years ago. When all this started I was taking one a day. Now, I can usually get by on 4 a day, although the script reads I'm allowed 8 a day. The doc (GI) believes I've not had to go higher over the years due to taking the Tranxene and Remeron. Who knows? But, unlike you, I hate taking meds yet would never suggest that once you start you try to stop this one abruptly. It is not a pretty picture of "climbing the walls", nausea, blah, blah, blah. The amount you take would have to be reduced very gradually. Personally, I love it but believe also, that as soon as I quit working, I should be able to wean off all meds except the calcium supplement.You're right about the stress, too. Who knows why we got to be the lucky recipients of this condition and, while I detest dealing with it and having to think about it, I do thank God I can still see, walk, talk, smell, touch, taste, etc. This is without question a profoundly debilitating illness which annoys me to death that it doesn't qualify for disability, but when I think of the alternatives...well, I guess things COULD be worse.In any case, "knock your socks off" with Lomotil !! If you're like some of us, you'll think you've captured your life back...others have reported no positive effects for them.Best wishes..Godspeed...

·
Registered
140 Posts
Floyd,The diphenoxylate, otherwise known as Lomotil, can be habit forming in that it contains opium; or, at least that's what the doc and pharmacist said. Yes, you can also build a tolerance to it. It works so well, I had started taking it daily, "just in case". Well, that was 14 years ago. When all this started I was taking one a day. Now, I can usually get by on 4 a day, although the script reads I'm allowed 8 a day. The doc (GI) believes I've not had to go higher over the years due to taking the Tranxene and Remeron. Who knows? But, unlike you, I hate taking meds yet would never suggest that once you start you try to stop this one abruptly. It is not a pretty picture of "climbing the walls", nausea, blah, blah, blah. The amount you take would have to be reduced very gradually. Personally, I love it but believe also, that as soon as I quit working, I should be able to wean off all meds except the calcium supplement.You're right about the stress, too. Who knows why we got to be the lucky recipients of this condition and, while I detest dealing with it and having to think about it, I do thank God I can still see, walk, talk, smell, touch, taste, etc. This is without question a profoundly debilitating illness which annoys me to death that it doesn't qualify for disability, but when I think of the alternatives...well, I guess things COULD be worse.In any case, "knock your socks off" with Lomotil !! If you're like some of us, you'll think you've captured your life back...others have reported no positive effects for them.Best wishes..Godspeed...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for getting back to me Goofygut! I have been taking both of these drugs one each, every morning. That�s all I�ve needed for the past 3 years. Although sometimes when I am I the road, I do double my dose. I try to do that very seldom. So, what you are saying is, that my body has already been addicted because I�ve been taking it so long? So if I wanted to get off this drug, I should work with my doctor? Some days I don�t need to take it, but I do anyway, just for confidence.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for getting back to me Goofygut! I have been taking both of these drugs one each, every morning. That�s all I�ve needed for the past 3 years. Although sometimes when I am I the road, I do double my dose. I try to do that very seldom. So, what you are saying is, that my body has already been addicted because I�ve been taking it so long? So if I wanted to get off this drug, I should work with my doctor? Some days I don�t need to take it, but I do anyway, just for confidence.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Floyd,Well, yes, I guess that is what I'm saying. If you've been taking it virtually daily for three years, you are likely addicted. I can't believe we are SO much alike in that, I "pop" one of those little things "just in case". I don't really like the dependence, or "crutch", so to speak, but I hate "bolting for the bathroom" even more. So, I guess it's a trade-off.Indeed, talk with your doc before you consider withdrawal. Obviously, it would mean coming off them slowly and he could probably give you a "time line", but I assure you, you're body will let you know. Who knows? Maybe you could gradually withdraw from them and take some "Maximum Strength" Pepto Bismol as a substitute for one at least one dose and work your way off that way. I've done that before and it was great since Pepto is not addictive (except psychologically). Please remember though, I'm no doctor and not suggesting/recommending you do anything...these are just coping skills I've used that work for me.I wish you the best .... stay positive !!!

·
Registered
140 Posts
Floyd,Well, yes, I guess that is what I'm saying. If you've been taking it virtually daily for three years, you are likely addicted. I can't believe we are SO much alike in that, I "pop" one of those little things "just in case". I don't really like the dependence, or "crutch", so to speak, but I hate "bolting for the bathroom" even more. So, I guess it's a trade-off.Indeed, talk with your doc before you consider withdrawal. Obviously, it would mean coming off them slowly and he could probably give you a "time line", but I assure you, you're body will let you know. Who knows? Maybe you could gradually withdraw from them and take some "Maximum Strength" Pepto Bismol as a substitute for one at least one dose and work your way off that way. I've done that before and it was great since Pepto is not addictive (except psychologically). Please remember though, I'm no doctor and not suggesting/recommending you do anything...these are just coping skills I've used that work for me.I wish you the best .... stay positive !!!

·
Registered
661 Posts
From what I understand, Lomotil is addictive only in very high doses. My doctor has never even mentioned addiction and I've been taking it for years, almost everyday. I have quit for a week or so at a time and never noticed any withdrawal problems. I usually take only one a day.

·
Registered
661 Posts
From what I understand, Lomotil is addictive only in very high doses. My doctor has never even mentioned addiction and I've been taking it for years, almost everyday. I have quit for a week or so at a time and never noticed any withdrawal problems. I usually take only one a day.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.