Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, Im sitting here in total pain and Im confused. Since I got the ibs, Ive only been able to figure out 3 things that make it worse. The first one is soda pop, I havent drank any for 5 months, because it would give me d. Then theres cauliflower, I had some raw cauliflower about 2 months ago, and got horrible cramping but no d. And then theres milk. Also gave me cramping but no d. Well today for lunch I decided to have a mountain dew with my food, I havent had in for 5 months. So I had some, and nothing happened. That was at about noon. I went to bed at 11:30 and started getting horribel pains in my belly, like cramping or bad gas pains. Now its 1:00 and I cant sleep because of the pain. Is it possibel for something to affect you 12 hours later? I would think if it was gonna bother you it would happen right after you had it. That is why im confused. Hmmmm..

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think Im gonna die. Ive never had pain this bad. It just keeps getting worse. Sorry, I dont mean to whine, it just hurts really bad right now. I took some liberax about 20 minutes ago, but I dont think its helping yet.

·
Registered
613 Posts
I never get the payback till the next morning. It's very frustrating that I can basically eat anything I want BUT I won't know till the next morning if it is going to effect me.Any time I eat something I have not had before, a different brand of something I usually eat, or something I haven't eaten for a long time then I only eat a small portion. If it makes me sick the next morning, at least it won't be awful. Beth, if you keep a food diary and check for food triggers further back (say 12 hours) may be you will be able to identify more triggers. If I get an IBS attack now, I can usually look over what I ate the day before and realize I ate something I shouldn't. It is really hard sometimes to think about everything you put in your mouth. I had Caesar salad recently and didn't think anything about it (Romaine lettuce is OK for me). But the croutons made me sick and I should have known better.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone. shewww I just woke up and Im feeling much better now. The cramping is gone. I think it had to have been the mountain dew. That is the only thing diferent that I had, that I dont normally have. Im glad the cramping is gone. And Im not gonna drink anymore mountain dew.

G

·
Maybe the length of time after consuming the Mountain Dew before reaction had something to do with the fact that you hadn't had any "pop" (as we call it in Canada) for so long. Sometimes that happens to me. I abstain from eating a trigger for weeks/months at a time then indulge myself. At first, I think I have gotten away with it....but it hits me the next day.Lay (wo)man's theory: your body doesn't know what to do with it (??)

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Erindalia, we actually call it pop also. I just thought maybe I better call it soda, in case no one knew what I was talking about. I lived in Virginia about 10 years ago, and people there would make fun of me for calling it pop. Apparantly they call it sods there. Its all the same to me anyway. Im feeling much better today, I think it must have definately been the pop, I cant think of any thing else I had out of the ordinary. Im gonna avoid it for sure. I dont wanta go through that again.

·
Registered
122 Posts
After reading this thread, I am understanding that trigger foods can have their negative effect as long as a few days after you eat it. What about the reverse....is it normal to have it take its toll right away? For me, it's usually within minutes or an hour that the pain and bloating sets in. Once I go to sleep, it's better (good thing I sleep alone, there must be lots of gas going on!!), but every morning I feel great. If only I could feel that way all day. Maybe one day....

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
cmack, I would think its probly normal for it to happen right after you eat it too. It probly just varies with each person. Mine seems to take a while. But then again one time I had some raw broccoli and I started getting cramping about 1 hour later. This ibs stuff is crazy! One day your fine, the next you feel like your gonna die. It makes absolutely no sense at all.[This message has been edited by beth_crocker1 (edited 02-03-2001).]

·
Registered
6,730 Posts
HI CMACK:Busy busy so quick undetailed reply today.It is also not unusual for a person to have a perceived or actual response or responses of one type or another immediately when they consume something. There are several reasons for this and the quick response can be due to one, more than one, or even all the reasons overlapping. I have to give geenral undetailed response as gotta run but heres a couple things...unedited for typos sorryThe simplest is that, regardless of the explanation for the mechanism...which is not fully understood only parts of it are...the whole GIT from top to bttom is tooo reactive or "twitchy" to stimuli, sort of like the airways of an asthmatic. All the normal sensory and reflex functions are exaggerated, and the eating-reflexes are aexaggarted as well. The "gastrocolonic reflex" and the "migrating motor complex" among them, are all upregulated.In Some people so much so that as soon as the eating process begins or shortly thereafter normal reflexes occur in an exaggerated fashion. The person can mistake this as being someone reactive to something in the food they just ate. This is often not the case and leads to the common problem of misidentifiying reactive foods or additives and then avoiding the wrong ones.Unless the person has true food "Allergy" (a very specific type of aberrant immune reaction) you will not immunologically react that fast. One subpopulation of "IBS" has true food allergies on top of the underlying mechanisms of IBS and it complicates it, but these people are in the minority. Nobody knows exactly what % of IBS patients have complicating allergy. but some studies point to the probability that it is higher than in the "normal" population where the incidence is 2-5% depends who you read. So if you did, though, the "allergic reaction" first phase response can occur rapidly.Another 'etiology" if you will is that people suffer from other forms of food intolerance than food allergy...there is a lot of confusion about what and how to name this so in egenral the more descriptive phrase than food sensitivity or intolerance is delayed-allergic response or delayed-hypersensitivity. The GIT remains upregulated as the person consumes things that cause abnormal immune responses in the snmall bowel and circulation that become basically chronic, evene though the reactio-onset-symptom phase is prolonged up to 72 hours. So the issue of twitchy bowel reacting can be linked to neurotoxic meduators being constantly present in the bloodstream, and other mediators which effect receptors in the bowl and the smooth muscle itslef upregulate the normal reactions.Further, many patients have what is termed comorbidity of psychological problems from the consequences of the disease itself, also as part of the disease itself as there are chemicals which affect central function of certain areas of the brain which amplify normal stress-anxiety reactions and feedbck loops, and in some cases this is so sever and cognitive behavior involuntarily altered by learned-response, chemical imbalance, or both that the very act of contemplation of eating can elicit the twitchy-bowel reactions automatically and involuntarily.Lastly and least likely is of course contaminated food...a basteria such as staph might be in that food and the toxins produced by the bacteria cause an immediate reaction. This si, however, episodic unless you make a habit of eating contaminated foods!Gotta run....eft out a lot of detail but that is the gist of it....cna give more detail on another day if neededhave a DFDMNL__________ www.leapallergy.com

·
Registered
340 Posts
This is very interesting to me. I have never thought that something I ate the day before was a problem. I did keep a diary for my doctor at first and he could only find one thing that seemed to ALWAYS bother me and that was onions. At his suggestion, I now cook with onion salt. When my IBS got really bad it only happened after lunch. (I don't eat breakfast but drink decaf coffee. His suggestion also.)I could eat a meal and within 10 minutes, I had to go, BAD! But lately I have been having the diarrhea in the mornings and have to take an imodium. I usually don't have trouble at lunch if I take the imodium in the morning. I am so sick and tired of this! After reading these posts I think I am going to start back keeping a list of the foods I eat. Thank goodness for this BB and pray we'll all find a cure one day!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hi everyone...I am returning to this bb after an approximately 2 year absence.Trigger foods...I find that if I eat one of my triggers (ie. broccoli, eggs, cauliflower, cabbage, peppers, corn or corn products, anything with aspartame), I have severe cramping in my intestines at 7pm the next evening, no matter what time of day I ate the food (weird, huh?)If I eat onions (or chives or leeks or anything with freeze dried onions), I feel extremely bloated and have upper GI pain within 7-10 minutes. From what I read above, sounds like these onions might be an allergy?Anyway, I am glad (in some ways) to be back.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.